Type IV engine exhaust nuts

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Re: Type IV engine exhaust nuts

Post by MountainPrana » Mon May 23, 2016 9:54 pm

Amskeptic wrote:EDITED MAY 23rd 9:30PM EDT
MountainPrana wrote: acceptable practice to drill out the flange holes on the heat exchanger?
how to replace this stud!
Tim
Yes, it is acceptable and advised. Not too much of course.

That stud is NOT SO MUCH a problem. It looks cocked, BUT IT IS JUST THE FLANGE THERE, NOT THE CYLINDER HEAD BOSS. If it is not already a step stud, you might be able to NEVER MIND remove the stud, bolt up the exchanger, use its hole as a pilot and redrill into the head at the correct angle.

There is much discernment required here WHICH I SEEM NO LONGER TO POSSESS. You need to NOT BOTHER TO discern if the boss on the head has enough material to let you drill, you need to mark the bit with your own carefully determined depth "gauge" AND LEAVE IT IN THE BIT BOX so you don't drill too far, and you will need a timesert with a straight 8mm stud or a 10-8 step stud FOR THE REAL DISASTER SURE TO BEFALL YOU AT SOME LATER TIME. Up for it? PUNK?? WELL, ARE YA?
Colin, PAY ATTENTION NEXT TIME

Oh phew!!!!! Thanks for the edit! I was having sweaty palms of nervous anxiety all day at work dragging irrigation line around and watching the antelope and wow even a bear today, thinking about how I was going to tell you that I wasn't exactly so sure I was up for it, well maybe... but really not so sure, sounds stressful, but if it would help, well, well, If I just take it slow... Hmm not sure... uh? But now you see I can just shut off that monkey mind of mine, well at least for a second before it starts back up again.

Now drilling out the flange, not too much of course... I can handle that!

And thanks for the laugh, I like your style!!

Tim

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Re: Type IV engine exhaust nuts

Post by MountainPrana » Mon May 23, 2016 9:55 pm

the miz wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: That stud is a problem. It looks cocked. If it is not already a step stud, you might be able to remove the stud, bolt up the exchanger, use its hole as a pilot and redrill into the head at the correct angle.
...man, I hate to say it, but "cocked studs" on the heads seem to be another calling card...noticed that when replacing the unwanted 1-piece Cali-exhaust with my Federal heater boxes last summer...luckily the stud was not so cocked as to make the job impossible, but cocked enough to make the install difficult.
...the plot thickens.
miz
A sad state of affairs
Tim