'72 Bus - Oil Pressure Low

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:13 am

chitwnvw wrote:Is it ok to seal it off entirely? Or does there need to be some dribbling toward the camshaft....
That was my next question. I was going to get a shaft that just barely wiggles (about the same as the rod in the sleeve) and weld it to the block off plate. That way there would be about the same flow as with the stock setup.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:12 am

chitwnvw wrote:Is it ok to seal it off entirely? Or does there need to be some dribbling toward the camshaft....
No dribble required. If there is no moving part in that bore, there is no need for lubrication. The end of the camshaft where the eccentric is located is not in contact with anything if it is not running a pushrod, the front camshaft bearing is already pressure lubricated. Just block the hole with a slight interference.
Colin

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:39 pm

I went & checked the engine Bottomend has split in my basement. I measured the bore for the Fuel Pump Pushrod Bushing and got a rod the same size. When I went to fit it in, it didn't fit. Got a look in there as best I could (with the engine still in) and it looks like they drilled through the bushing then tried to remove it by drilling it out. They didn't drill it out all the way. They just made the ID bigger. So I found a rod that fits. But it isn't completely snug. My oil pressure has boosted a lot. Not perfect, but the light doesn't come on. I'll be trying Piledrivers idea when we drop the engine to fix that cylinder leak.

Speaking of, now that my oil pressure has boosted, that leak is bigger and the flywheel seal leak returned.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:05 pm

Sluggo wrote:I went & checked the engine Bottomend has split in my basement. I measured the bore for the Fuel Pump Pushrod Bushing and got a rod the same size. When I went to fit it in, it didn't fit. Got a look in there as best I could (with the engine still in) and it looks like they drilled through the bushing then tried to remove it by drilling it out. They didn't drill it out all the way. They just made the ID bigger. So I found a rod that fits. But it isn't completely snug. My oil pressure has boosted a lot. Not perfect, but the light doesn't come on. I'll be trying Piledrivers idea when we drop the engine to fix that cylinder leak.
I'm surprised, didn't think that sucker could have that much impact. When I got my bus, it had the fuel pump on there like a block off plate, but no pushrod (had electric pump) and it never had a problem with oil pressure. Good for you, though, at least one problem that you can make good. I guess I'm going to be cutting down that pushrod and inserting it...
Sluggo wrote: Speaking of, now that my oil pressure has boosted, that leak is bigger and the flywheel seal leak returned.
Of course. :< :(

PS: Sluggo where's the generic frowny face emoticon? We have all the wild, crazy emoticons, but some of the standard ones seem MIA.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:56 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I'm surprised, didn't think that sucker could have that much impact. When I got my bus, it had the fuel pump on there like a block off plate, but no pushrod (had electric pump) and it never had a problem with oil pressure. Good for you, though, at least one problem that you can make good. I guess I'm going to be cutting down that pushrod and inserting it...
I don't think it's the pushrod. It's the bushing that plugs the gallery.
PS: Sluggo where's the generic frowny face emoticon? We have all the wild, crazy emoticons, but some of the standard ones seem MIA.
I'm on it.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:53 am

chitwnvw wrote:where's the generic frowny face emoticon? We have all the wild, crazy emoticons, but some of the standard ones seem MIA.
:-( Done! :-) They're at the bottom of the list though. :evil:

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:53 pm

While the engine was out for the dropped seat, I went to work on the fuel pump bore. The bushing is missing. What I saw in there was the bottom of the plug sticking in past the bore. Which is what was blocking the correct size rod from going in. Pulled the plug. Inserted the correct size rod to fill & block the entire bore with missing bushing. Screwed the plug back in tight (that pushrod isn't going anywhere). Used red Loc-Tite and swedged the plug in place. We'll see what happens when I reinstall the engine. The rod I used was a hex head bolt with no threads. I cut it to legnth and cut off 2/3 of the head to clear the side of the bore but still hold it in place just to make sure it doesn't hit the cam.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:36 pm

Sluggo wrote: Screwed the plug back in tight (that pushrod isn't going anywhere).
So the gallery plug is now not-as-far in as it was. Big question. How much torque did you need to screw it in this time? With it now contacting the boltplug, was the end of it far enough into the case to actually swage the case to lock it in?
Colin?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:30 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sluggo wrote: Screwed the plug back in tight (that pushrod isn't going anywhere).
So the gallery plug is now not-as-far in as it was. Big question. How much torque did you need to screw it in this time? With it now contacting the boltplug, was the end of it far enough into the case to actually swage the case to lock it in?
Colin?
That would make me nervous. I’d feel better grinding some off the leading end of the galley plug and then cleaning up the threads to make it work.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Colin?
Plug sticks out about 1/8 of an inch. Cut a V into the top and side (about 3 threads down) the plug and swaged it in. Also used red locktite. It's about as far in as it was and as the others are.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:43 pm

Colin,

You're questions made me nervous so I went out and re-evaluated what I had done. The plug sticking out is what bothered me. Pulled the plug out. Traced around where the plug hit the rod. Pulled it all back apart. That rod is a good fit so it took some work to get it back out. Good thing I left the head on the rod. Ground a groove into to rod where the plug hit it. Put it back together and the plug only sticks out about 2/3 of a thread. Used the red LocTite and swaged it again. Much happier now. The rod cant move either way or spin because the plug locks into the notch. But it still leave to areas filled where the bushing was.

I would have taken pics but an old lady who was doting over my son on Haloween knocked it off the stroller somehow and now you can't see what you're taking a picture of.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

orwell84
I'm New!

Re: '72 Bus - Oil Pressure Low

Post by orwell84 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:04 pm

I’m reviving this topic because I’m having the same issue and I’m not sure if it was resolved.

I am running a mechanical fuel pump and it appears the pushrod and brass sleeve is missing....or at least half the sleeve. The galley isn’t plugged but welded closed. I think the PO drilled through the sleeve and took half of it out on fuel pump side.

When I slide an 1/8 inch rod into the bore through the fuel pump outlet it hits something at the galley plug. When I center it in the hole it slides in with a little resistance until it contacts the cam.

I am about to split the case but I’m trying to figure out the best way to fix it.

Thanks

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:37 pm

orwell84 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:04 pm
I’m reviving this topic because I’m having the same issue and I’m not sure if it was resolved.

I am running a mechanical fuel pump and it appears the pushrod and brass sleeve is missing....or at least half the sleeve. The galley isn’t plugged but welded closed. I think the PO drilled through the sleeve and took half of it out on fuel pump side.

When I slide an 1/8 inch rod into the bore through the fuel pump outlet it hits something at the galley plug. When I center it in the hole it slides in with a little resistance until it contacts the cam.

I am about to split the case but I’m trying to figure out the best way to fix it.

Thanks

"When I slide an 1/8 inch rod into the bore through the fuel pump outlet it hits something at the galley plug."

I am not picturing this. What bore through the fuel pump outlet? The bore through the fuel pump mounting flange?

"... it hits something at the gallery plug"... is it hitting The Gallery Plug?
Colin

orwell84
I'm New!

Post by orwell84 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Actually, after splitting the case I was able to see that there is a section of the bronze guide sleeve on either side of the galley plug. I was able to slide a 5.4 mm punch into the sleeve through the cam end all the way to the fuel pump outlet. I don’t know if someone drilled through the sleeve at one time or if it supposed to be in two sections. I have read somewhere that the guide sleeve is supposed to have an opening in the middle.

I thought the best way to fix it would be to replace the pushrod and perhaps anchor in some way at the fuel pump outlet.
EDC00C3D-1133-411D-9CA1-C2A49F0542CF.jpeg
EDC00C3D-1133-411D-9CA1-C2A49F0542CF.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 6042 times

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:28 am

orwell84 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:51 pm
I thought the best way to fix it would be to replace the pushrod and perhaps anchor in some way at the fuel pump outlet.

The simplest solution is to put in a shortened pushrod and a block-off plate. There is no further lubrication destination for that gallery than the pushrod.
Colin