Removing Oil Pickup/Strainer tube?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Removing Oil Pickup/Strainer tube?

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:15 pm

So according to Tom Wilson's book, removing the tube that the oil strainer connects to involves removing 4 nuts/bolts and it just pulls out. However, in my engine (1800cc TypeIV), there was only 1 nut that attached the strainer to the cover. The tube seems to run to an allen bolt on the side of the case. Before I start wrenching on this, I thought I'd check and be sure this is the nut I'm supposed to remove? I tried pulling on the tube (not very hard) and it doesn't seem to want to slide out. I can take pictures if this isn't clear enough.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:26 pm

Why are you wanting to remove the oil pick up? It's held in place with a case through bolt. It's not something that you ever really need to remove unless you're rebuilding your engine.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:19 am

Why are you wanting to remove the oil pick up? It's held in place with a case through bolt. It's not something that you ever really need to remove unless you're rebuilding your engine.
Guess I should've mentioned that but..that's exactly what I'm doing ;) Trying to get everything out so I can clean it all up. The case through bolt is out, and the pickup does bounce around a bit, but it still seems to be attached to something inside that I can't really see. My best guess is that recessed allen bolt.

I'll take pictures after thanksgiving if no one chimes in.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:37 am

I think you are mistaking a recessed Allen bolt for a gallery plug at the end of the pick up gallery. When you said "side" did you mean "end"?
You do not want to mess with that.

The pick up tube should pull right out of the case once you have taken out the famous long bolt-with-the-copper-washer-that-must-be-replaced that goes through the bottom center cam saddle. You have an o-ring that prevents cavitation (air) as the oil pump attempts to pull in oil. Give the pick up tube a good yank.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:06 pm

I think you are mistaking a recessed Allen bolt for a gallery plug at the end of the pick up gallery. When you said "side" did you mean "end"? You do not want to mess with that.
Yes, on both counts. I did mean end instead of side, and I did think it was a galley plug which is why I wanted to ask here first (thankfully).

Gave it a lil wiggle, a lil yank..and out it came!

Thanks guys, much appreciated.