air fuel mixture monitor

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

air fuel mixture monitor

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:14 pm

Any one have any experience with these?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Where could the sensor be placed to monitor all four cylinders?

Saw one on ebay, an older one, that worked by feeding a tube up the exhaust. Don't know how my bus feels about that, but if it's just an annual exam kind of thing...anyway the ebay one was missing the tube, don't know if this is something that could be rigged. I'm not sure how I feel about hooking up lots of gauges, ran a wire from the coil up so that I could hook up my dwell/tach and get an idea where in the rpm band I was having trouble, and it really distracted me from listening and feeling how the bus was running. So best world, I'd like to have a diagnostic tool if anyone knows of anything out there...thanks.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Theres this guy on Samba 'Bill'..who uses a simple 02 sensor and rich/lean guage ...his rig is set-up with f.i....but for carbs you could probably use the same idea

I asked him for details, like location etc.:
I
chose the left (cyl. #3&4) exhuast elbow, above the seam. Not necessary to weld on the threaded collar that will probibly come with a kit. Careful selection of the right diameter drill will allow friction fit of the probe (not the threads, just the probe bulb), then lock it with wire wrap around elbow.

so called "wide range" oxygen sensors are a waste but do use the four wire sensor with the heater spliced in at #15+ on coil. luck, bill
Its on my list of projects..just havent gotten around to it...yet.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:41 pm

I sent an e-mail to Edelbrock about that monitor. Problem is that the cable harness they provide is far too short to run from the back of the bus to the front - it's designed for front-engine cars. You could extend it yourself, though, I guess.

With the exhaust setup I've got, the only place to catch all 4 cylinders would be the outlet of the muffler. I'm not sure the exhaust gas would be hot enough at that location to properly heat the sensor.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:57 am

vwlover77 wrote:the only place to catch all 4 cylinders would be the outlet of the muffler. I'm not sure the exhaust gas would be hot enough at that location to properly heat the sensor.
Inlet of single entry mufflers. That is why VW went all goofy with the jacketed catalyst exhaust systems, to collect it all in one place and be hot enough to light off the catalyst.

Dual inlet mufflers (all buses before 1975) you'll have to tap the manifolds close to the exhaust ports.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:01 pm

Interesting how the same vehicles can be either ox-cart simple or hi-tech, depending upon the owner's particular madness.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:19 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Dual inlet mufflers (all buses before 1975) you'll have to tap the manifolds close to the exhaust ports.
Soooo, two sensors....

Hambone, Eric says, hi! Sweet bus you scored him!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:06 am

chitwnvw wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Dual inlet mufflers (all buses before 1975) you'll have to tap the manifolds close to the exhaust ports.
Soooo, two sensors....

Hambone, Eric says, hi! Sweet bus you scored him!
4 actually. Each pipe is dedicated. You cannot get a proper sample otherwise. It all seems a little much.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles