Makin' use of the AIRS...Sheriff Dave in Reno

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

73Kombi
I'm New!

Makin' use of the AIRS...Sheriff Dave in Reno

Post by 73Kombi » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Well I got to Sheriff Dave's at about 8:20 (yes he's a Reno Sheriff) and we began the chore of removing the engine to replace the rear main seal. Dave worked the jacks and I got greasy.
40 minutes later it's out and the clutch is too clean...I had just installed this in July.
The bell housing is clean and dry too...not the way it should look if the seal was bad...
But I insisted on pulling the flywheel and having a look.....plus Dave had a flywheel lock and impact tools! The JB Weld on the galley plugs was all in tack, no leaks. The orange VR seal was doing it's job, and the cam end cap looked ok as well.
I took some time to clean up the valve cover surface on the 1-2 side as it was leaking, then dave brought out a can of gunk and insisted we wash her down.
I've never used a real jack like this, but it sure beats balancing an engine on my aluminum floor jack. (notice how clean Dave is)
Things go so much faster with pneumatic tools! Moses was happy we were about finished. Dave had pet rabbits in his garage... drove Moses NUTS!
I pulled the bottom tin and checked all the push rod tubes...and yet the conundrum of the dripping bell housing has me perplexed...But I have a clean engine!

We were done by 12:20, and I drove away without getting any pictures of Dave's Spiltty and Thing collection.....But you gotta love the AIRS!

So, how else can oil be dripping from the bell housing/engine mating area? It is actually still dripping a bit from there after I got back to the Motel. :? But the 1-2 valve cover is nice and dry!

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards case leak, but the position of the drip has me fooled, and no, it's not gear oil.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Makin' use of the AIRS...Sheriff Dave in Reno

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:23 pm

73Kombi wrote:Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards case leak, but the position of the drip has me fooled, and no, it's not gear oil.
I gots pleanty of thoughts, but wanted an update before I shared them. Anything new to report re: the oil leak at the center of the engine?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles