Engine Pull, Investigation, Let's see where this leads

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:59 pm

bus71 wrote:maybe it's the photo, but the crosshaft looks slightly off center to the left.
Release bearing is allowed to float to find center.

The loose pressure plate ring may be only a symptom of lack of concentricity, or it may be the cause. Please check carefully.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Diverging paths, somewhat. Also trying to track down an oil leak... 98% sure it was coming from behind the flywheel. Rest of the engine was dry under all the tin... only the front and bottom were oily. I'd get a (2" or so) puddle from b/t the trans bellhousing and the flywheel area every time I parked while the engine was still hot.

So, anyway. Got the flywheel off. Looks like this engine was liberally gooped at the case seam. I haven't seen that many of these things... any thoughts from these pictures?

Is it normal for the case halves to not match up at various points around the perimeter? There's a noticeable "step" under the cam plug and I was always bothered by the fact that I could catch my fingernail at the seam under the oil drain plate. I'm not sure what's acceptable but it leaves me feeling less than confident.

The main seal *seemed* fine visually. I couldn't find any nicks in it. There is a slight raised gunk area from whatever sealer was used between the case halves... not anything huge, but definitely fingernail catchy. Could this contribute to an oil leak?

Also, how tightly should the ID of the seal fit on the OD of the flywheel boss? To my naive fingers this one feels slightly loose. I can slide it on and off with minimal effort. Seems like it would want to weep for sure but what do I know. That cam plug area looks suspect to me as well. Gaargh!?!

Sorry for the long-windedness. Thanks for the continued support.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Looks to me like you might have an oil gallery plug leaking as seen on the right side of your photos. See all the oil puddled around the plug?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:37 pm

If you're referring to the oil on the 2x4 I'm doubtful as they've been shuffled around alot and dripped on in the teardown process. I'll check the plug though (I assume you mean the one accessible from the bottom of the engine).
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:59 pm

sped372 wrote:If you're referring to the oil on the 2x4 I'm doubtful as they've been shuffled around alot and dripped on in the teardown process. I'll check the plug though (I assume you mean the one accessible from the bottom of the engine).
He is referring to the gllery plugs behind the flywheel. Second picture from bottom, little dime-sized round plugs, there is oil settled at the bottom of one of the plugs on the driver's side of the case.

The steps and imprefect line-up of external castings is no cause for alarm. They poured these gobs of aluminum/magnesium out in rough form, but the maching within is first class. You can gently razorblade the front seal mating surface smooth at the parting line.

So what about the clutch?
Colin :bounce:

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:36 pm

Ok, I see what you're referring to now. How would one verify the "leakiness" of said plugs? Or better yet, how to fix them if they are leaky?
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:51 pm

No real way to verify. It requires the oil pressure of the running engine inside the oil passage to force oil past the plug.

One method to "fix" the problem is to clean the entire area around the plug and fill it with JB Weld.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:36 pm

vwlover77 wrote:One method to "fix" the problem is to clean the entire area around the plug and fill it with JB Weld.

That's what I did and I didn't even have a leak. But I don't want one in the future.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:56 pm

vwlover77 wrote:No real way to verify. It requires the oil pressure of the running engine inside the oil passage to force oil past the plug.

One method to "fix" the problem is to clean the entire area around the plug and fill it with JB Weld.
And do it well. First roughen the plug and the surrounding magnesium with a rough file. Be thorough. Wash the area with GumOut and and a brush, then rinse with GumOut and paper towel-dry hospital clean. Clean again no oil no oil residue, nada. Mix the old-style JB Weld (the quicky crap never seems as durable) accurately, mix quickly and thoroughly and trowel it on nicely. 24 hours before oil pressure please. I got 170,000 miles of leak-free performance with a badly mangled plug that had fallen out and gotten chewed by the flywheel, installed in the rain under the bus.
Colin