Moved Topics

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Moved Topics

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:19 pm

10/25/09
We have threads that start off technical in the Engine Forum, let's say, and they start off an excellent resource for others who are considering overhauling their engine, and who want to read the progressions. But too many times, in the Technical Forums no less! we have topic creep that gets utterly irrelevant and banal. This doesn't help those who are trying to conduct a search. So I move the entire thread to Type 2, and the Engine Forum has lost a decent reference. Not Good. What to do?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:57 pm

I wondered my thread got moved and oregon72's has gone on for many pages and into topics far from the engine. I dont think there's any real way to keep threads purely technical..without serious work and effort by someone to delete the non relevant posts....those people in the future who want to benefit will just have endure some BS too.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:57 pm

I suggest encouraging the originator of the thread to summarize its technical details in a separate "What did I learn?" thread. Doing so would even benefit threads that don't degenerate into silliness but are just endlessly long. The summary post could then become the basis for a new technical thread as people comment on it.

We're all still trying to figure out how to make this medium useful. The problem is that high-traffic threads get bumped up frequently but also tend to be the silliest.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:03 pm

covelo wrote:I suggest encouraging the originator of the thread to summarize its technical details in a separate "What did I learn?" thread. Doing so would even benefit threads that don't degenerate into silliness but are just endlessly long. The summary post could then become the basis for a new technical thread as people comment on it.

We're all still trying to figure out how to make this medium useful. The problem is that high-traffic threads get bumped up frequently but also tend to be the silliest.
I'd like to be able to split off the banal from the good serious desperate questions and issues. But there are people here who know damn well they are just babbling in the technical forums and they can damn well show a little public consideration. Why, why, its . . . it's like littering.
Colin

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Maybe an "engine build" forum would be useful? Someday (hopefully not soon), I'll have a thread to contribute too!
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Colin, I've done it before and perhaps others too purely by accident. When I sign on, I hit the posts you missed since logging on link and then just click on them from there.

I've made some stupid comments only to later realize they were in the technical area. But I just accessed the thread from the hodpodge page and didn't look to see where the thread was from, only the title of the thread.

Is there a way to bold or red the term TECHNICAL.. or can you make it manditory to have to check mark a box before submitting a reply that says, "This is a technical post and my reply addresses the issue without off topic banter."

Just throwing out ideas.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:15 am

I'm not sure what the capabilities of the phpBB system are - could you even make the background a different color within the technical pages? Maybe the site keeps its red look everywhere else but is blue in the tech parts? Or Bentley Green?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:33 pm

I do not have trouble ascertaining that I am in a technical forum and thus keep it very dry very dry shaken not stirred at all times. As a matter of fact, I can see just above this reply box, that this is:
Itinerant Air-Cooled Forum Index-> Technical Forums -> Engine.

I shall rely on your great good intelligence and awareness of your surroundings . . . :king:

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:26 pm

Amskeptic wrote:But there are people here who know damn well they are just babbling in the technical forums and they can damn well show a little public consideration. Why, why, its . . . it's like littering.
Colin
Don't beat around the bush. Come on now, name names. Veiled subterfuge is not your cup of tea.

Would that be an example of thread drift? :drunken:

-John
Keep it acoustic.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:49 am

Feel free to delete anything I've ever typed. Please.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:57 am

Colin, this thread is an example of what you are complaining about. It is in a forum titled: Technical Forums -> Engine, yet you are asking for a solution that is not fully technical in a sub-category meant to be. Can you see that it isn't as cut and dried as you might think?

The way that this has been handled on other boards that I have been on has been to:

1. Have "more forum board choices" for a larger choice of topic to post about

2. Have more moderation on threads

3. Stop concerning yourself so much with thread drift; it is going to happen

Based on my experience with online boards, having "more" moderation tended to alienate members of the site over time. Members did not like being *policed* and some left the site as a direct result of stepped up moderation. Some of the Mods lost interest in the forum since it became more of a "job" than a way to pass time and then they left.

Having more forum board topics to select from, the thread drift became much less. Familiarity with one another cut down some of the thread drift also. You could/can tell when a specific focus was being asked and most followed suit.

As a group who has been together now close to 7 years, we have had the chance to get to know one another and we don't worry or care about thread drift. *shrugs*

Bottom line, folks come to this site online because of the community and also because they are seeking advice and assistance. Thread drift is going to happen, so how you choose to manage that is key.

IF you say that you want an environment where folks are adults and are therefore capable of managing their own content and post what is on their minds, then please don't take issue inconsistently with the type and kind of moderation that is performed. You may not agree with that statement, but that IS my perception.

Colin, every so often you bring this topic up. You want the boards that are technical to stay technical, and we all can understand that. However, I think most on here would agree that when they are looking for something specific they generally find it or ask a question to get clarification.

Unless you want to spend an exhorbitant amount of time modding this site, I do not see any other way to fix this other than continuously policing what is said or as Wayne or Troy mentioned, changing the color or appearance of stuff when it is posted.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:19 am

I said it years ago and it was shot down then and probably will be now.

It would be nice to blog about our restoration or engine build. We could then choose to include helpful advice for others. This would give a nice linear narrative for others to follow.

The truth is, CK, that if we need the knowledge we will did. I take the continental bed thread over on TS. Started out wonderful and devolved into chaos. Still I combed through the 18 page, iirc, and pulled out the useful stuff to make me one of these beds over the winter. As a man who waxes his seat rails in his Calvin's (hey you two have the same initials!) I think it is just your nature to be perturbed by the clutter. Others of us, function just fine among the chaos. Viva la anarchy!

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Re: Moved Topics

Post by Sluggo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 am

Amskeptic wrote:10/25/09
We have threads that start off technical in the Engine Forum, let's say, and they start off an excellent resource for others who are considering overhauling their engine, and who want to read the progressions. But too many times, in the Technical Forums no less! we have topic creep that gets utterly irrelevant and banal. This doesn't help those who are trying to conduct a search. So I move the entire thread to Type 2, and the Engine Forum has lost a decent reference. Not Good. What to do?
There's an admin feature where you can split threads.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:55 am

chitwnvw wrote: As a man who waxes his seat rails in his Calvin's

Please explain...and be technical....

:pirate:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:59 am

The truth is, CK, that if we need the knowledge we will did.
What the hell does this mean? Are you in the ether again?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat