First valve adjustment

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:43 pm

bretski wrote: You should keep track of any changes in the valves (from that 1.5 turn pre-load) from here on out. This will help you with forensics. If, at the next adjustment, you see less than 1.5 turns to zero lash, that points to lifter wear. More than 1.5 turns suggests valve stretch or seat recession.

Dinddingding-Give the man a Kewpie doll! This is my opinion exactly. The nice thing about valve adjusting with hydros is that you need only set your crank to position and then do your loosen/backout count/reset count to 1.5, lather rinse repeat. No need to hold a guage in place. Takes about 10 minutes for the whole works once you get the hang of it.

Even the solids become breezy when you do them a couple times.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:22 pm

bretski wrote:
chitwnvw wrote:Shoot I might have a beat up plastic one laying around.
I definitely do. Hercdriver, you can have it...PM me. Like chitwn said, it ain't a wish list item.
Bret thanks again for the timing scale. In retrospect it makes a lot more sense with the scale and reference to 0. When I started out, I had it my mind that it was like a type I with 0 straight up. Here she is in her new home.

66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 pm

:cheers:

You're welcome! Let us know how the hydraulic valve adjustment goes.

PS - That's authentic IAC artwork on the scale... :geek:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio