Removed EGR, what to do with the rest.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mylopolis
I'm New!

Removed EGR, what to do with the rest.

Post by mylopolis » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:14 pm

I blocked off all my EGR pipes and the control valves in my '73 dual solex.

Now I'm wondering what to do with the rest of the stuff it touched.

Should I keep the charcoal canister for fuel vapour recovery? Should I keep the decel valve on the central idle circuit? IIRC, which I don't really well, these both connected to my now-non-existent smog pump.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :)
'73 Dual Solex Campmobile

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Removed EGR, what to do with the rest.

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:21 am

mylopolis wrote:I blocked off all my EGR pipes and the control valves in my '73 dual solex.

Now I'm wondering what to do with the rest of the stuff it touched.

Should I keep the charcoal canister for fuel vapour recovery? Should I keep the decel valve on the central idle circuit? IIRC, which I don't really well, these both connected to my now-non-existent smog pump.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :)
You know? I'd give you advice if YOU WOULD RETURN MY 22MM OIL SENDER DEEP SOCKET, if you can find it.

Keep the charcoal tank and the vapor hoses along the ceiling in good condition. They help prevent fuel aromas. Make sure the elbow and fresh air hose are secure between the fan housing and the charcoal tank, as well as the hose that leads from the tank to the air filter.

What "decel valve" on the central idle circuit? Are you talking about the big ugly gulp valve that bolts to the air injection tubing up near the fan housing and branches to the cylinder heads and screws into the heads?
Or are you talking about the the smaller disk valve (anti-backfire valve) that bolts to the actual central idling tubing down near the center of the case? They both can go. Do make sure that the block-off method you choose is absolutely air-tight no questions. I used a big bolt and RTV for the anti-backfire valve and ripped that thing home into the tubing in 1986 and never looked back. The gulp valve tubing I removed completely and blocked off the cylinder head ports at the heads under the tins. The EGR pipe on my bus branched to each manifold. I kept that pipe as a balance pipe, and blocked off the tee that used to go to the filter/muffler by squirting a blob of RTV in the end and squishing it flat and folding it over.
The EGR signal hose on the right carb you block off. It looks like the right side equivalent for the vacuum advance hose on the left carb.
ColinInIllinois
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

mylopolis
I'm New!

Post by mylopolis » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks Colin, I'll look for your 22 socket. Things are looking a lot cleaner over here since everything's (mostly) back together! Took her for a spin around the block yesterday :)

I'll run the charcoal canister back to the air intake and keep it in-place for the vapour recovery. Thanks!

I kept the EGR pipe as a balance, as you recommended, and just capped it off with a gasket and plate behind (in front of?) the firewall tin where it would usually connect to go to the filter.

However, I don't have a valve in my central idle crossovers near the block. It's straight pipe between the two manifolds, the idle, and up to the shroud where it piped into a valve bolted to my fan shroud (next to the smog pump) which I guess is my anti-backfire valve.

The gulp valve/spider has been completely removed and I capped off the heads with bolts in the holes.

My anti-backfire valve, bolted to the fan shroud, had a small vacuum hose, another one connected into the central idle pipe, and another large hose that I thought went over to the smog pump.

My H in this diagram isn't threaded, it's just straight pipe:

Then there's GH which I can T back in. But then there's another hose from the anti-backfire that I can't figure out where to send (now that my smog pump is gone).

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:18 am

mylopolis wrote: Took her for a spin around the block yesterday :)
Damn. I wanted to do that.
mylopolis wrote: My H in this diagram isn't threaded, it's just straight pipe:
Then there's GH
Thanks for the diagram refresher.

H you want to saw off and cap with a bolt right into the tubing such that the result looks discrete and clean as befits a pretty engine compartment.

GH should be a simple hose to the vacuum valve on the right side air inlet. This is the famed "reference hose" when you check your mixtures.
I miss checking my mixtures.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

mylopolis
I'm New!

Post by mylopolis » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 am

So get rid of the backfire valve entirely?

Where does the second hose from the backfire valve usually go? Was it connected to the smog pump?