1700cc Engine Shipping

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Manfred
Old School!

1700cc Engine Shipping

Post by Manfred » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 am

Hi all,

I'm shipping a 1700 cc engine from Chicago to California. I was wondering how much this engine weighs. Anyone have a clue? Also any packing tips would be helpful. I believe the guys wants it shipped fed-ex freight.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:24 am

I think you have to strap it to a pallet. Probably looking at a couple hundred but you may want to ask the shipper these questions.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:36 am

hambone wrote:I think you have to strap it to a pallet. Probably looking at a couple hundred but you may want to ask the shipper these questions.
yea the guy I'm selling to is shipping me a crate to put it in. This should be interesting.
1978 Westy FI

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 am

A transmission is about a hundred UPS ground. You could compare.

Engine weight will vary a lot, depending on if they need the heat exchanger, exhaust, heads.

You will be in the neighborhood of 200lbs, and if the Tranny is about a 100lbs., then Hammy's guesstimate is pretty accurate. I would take a regular people scale to your garage, find out exactly what it weighs and then call UPS. It must be big garbage haul time, I keep seeing pallets in the alleys, let me know and I will snag one for you.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 pm

chitwnvw wrote:A transmission is about a hundred UPS ground. You could compare.

Engine weight will vary a lot, depending on if they need the heat exchanger, exhaust, heads.

You will be in the neighborhood of 200lbs, and if the Tranny is about a 100lbs., then Hammy's guesstimate is pretty accurate. I would take a regular people scale to your garage, find out exactly what it weighs and then call UPS. It must be big garbage haul time, I keep seeing pallets in the alleys, let me know and I will snag one for you.
Just the engine, nothing else. Thanks for the offer, but I think the crate he is sending me will do the job. I hope they can pick it up from my garage. I don't want to move this thing.
1978 Westy FI