your thoughts.....please.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

your thoughts.....please.

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:16 pm

If you read my thread in the type 1 forum you know I just bought a 73 Thing with a rod thru the top of its case. As I see it I have 2 options, Come up with a good used local./ rebuild-able 1600 OR Buy a brand new 2007cc short block and put this in my Bus and put the Bus 1600 shortblock in the Thing. Option 1 is obviously cheaper and I'm currently lookin....If I have to goto option 2 it'll take longer as I have other projects I'd rather spend $2K on first.

so When lookin at used VW engines any advice?

Anyone here built a bigger type 1 for your Bus? How big and how did it turn out? Where'd you get it?

Thanks for your thoughts
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Hiya Rick,

Might there be a third alternative?

Weld up the case and reuse it? I did that with one of mine last year and it's running strong right now. Of course, the interior can't be trashed too much, but this may be a "do-able".

Just a thought.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:19 pm

I think this case is trash, the crank thats in it is really hard to turn, I think it's bent, so badly that it caused the crank gear that drives the cam to shear all the teeth off....and it really got beat up by the broken rod.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:26 pm

Talking to a local shop today they say they can and will sell me a good used short block for $300 Yea ha my thing may actually run sometime soon.
Take care,
Rick