Type IV Engine Stand

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Manfred
Old School!

Type IV Engine Stand

Post by Manfred » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Just wondering if this engine stand will fit my 1978 Type IV engine. If not, I am open to recommendations.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... +Equipment
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:54 pm

That universal style yoke can be made to bolt up to a VW engine but in order to support the case properly you need to use a special VW/Porsche style yoke. Ratwell has a nice discussion on this, however his specific recommendations are a little out of date.

I actually did quite a bit of research on this recently and decided to buy this one:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=606310

The quality is really top notch and I doubt you will find better value for the money. I mounted the yoke to a generic engine stand that I found at my local flaps and it fit perfectly.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:33 am

hiwaycallin wrote:That universal style yoke can be made to bolt up to a VW engine but in order to support the case properly you need to use a special VW/Porsche style yoke. Ratwell has a nice discussion on this, however his specific recommendations are a little out of date.

I actually did quite a bit of research on this recently and decided to buy this one:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=606310

The quality is really top notch and I doubt you will find better value for the money. I mounted the yoke to a generic engine stand that I found at my local flaps and it fit perfectly.

Sweet! Thanks for the info.
1978 Westy FI

AzironaZack
I'm New!

Post by AzironaZack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:44 am

If you happen to have a spare bell housing laying about you can make an adaptor for your engine stand. I recently did this.

I took the bell housing, marked holes in a 12x12 inch piece of 1/4 inch steel plate (I don't know exactly what it was but it was real hard stuff from a salvage yard) to match the bolts that mate the bell housing to the transmission (10 or 12 holes, if I remember correctly). I also milled a hole in the center of the plate for the bell housing transmission input shaft flange. I put 4 holes in the corners of the plate to mount to a cheap chinese made engine stand borrowed from a friend. With the bell housing mated to the plate and the plate mated to the stand it was perfect.

It took a couple hours in the shop to fashion it but it's now a permanent part of my garage.

I realize this only helps if you have an old bell housing laying about. I was lucky enough to have one.

That stand adapter for sale on the samba looks like a really nice item. For 70 bucks it seems like a reasonable deal too.
Finally feels almost like a bus ought to feel!

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:47 am

AzironaZack wrote:If you happen to have a spare bell housing laying about you can make an adaptor for your engine stand. I recently did this.

I took the bell housing, marked holes in a 12x12 inch piece of 1/4 inch steel plate (I don't know exactly what it was but it was real hard stuff from a salvage yard) to match the bolts that mate the bell housing to the transmission (10 or 12 holes, if I remember correctly). I also milled a hole in the center of the plate for the bell housing transmission input shaft flange. I put 4 holes in the corners of the plate to mount to a cheap chinese made engine stand borrowed from a friend. With the bell housing mated to the plate and the plate mated to the stand it was perfect.

It took a couple hours in the shop to fashion it but it's now a permanent part of my garage.

I realize this only helps if you have an old bell housing laying about. I was lucky enough to have one.

That stand adapter for sale on the samba looks like a really nice item. For 70 bucks it seems like a reasonable deal too.
Great idea! I do not have one, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that do.
1978 Westy FI

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:49 am

How soon are you looking to utilize a stand, Manfred?

I'll have one available for you to use in the next month, or so.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:01 am

Hmmm....yea I've been debating that. I was thinking about one more trip to Kansas City before I start ripping into the old girl. Not until October, I'm guessing.
1978 Westy FI

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 am

If you go that route, I should be able to hook you up with my stand, if you'd like.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:31 am

That would be great! Thanks. Maybe I can get Chitwnvw to tag along when I pick it up.
1978 Westy FI

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:50 am

Manfred wrote:That would be great! Thanks. Maybe I can get Chitwnvw to tag along when I pick it up.
Sounds good. And maybe I'll have a running bus by then! :cheers:

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am

Running buses are good.
1978 Westy FI