engine tin cleaning and painting

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:11 pm

metric Cwrench wrote:only thing about gloss is that everything stands out- fingerprints, dust, etc.
I did a quicky clearcoat over the gloss black. That helps maintain the glossy look for a long time. It is also easy to wipe up.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

Post by metric Cwrench » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:19 am

the tiny bubbles on the fuel tank are, in fact, worse than they appear. same thing on the other side. aarrggghhh! i'll have to sand down the spots (which are thick around the base, super-thin on the bubble top) and recoat once more. i did a thorough cleaning, but something was still on the surface to cause such a wierd reaction. might have been powder from the latex gloves i used- i've been using nitrile (blue) disposable gloves, but ran out and used a cheapy latex doing the tank. other tin painted at the same time didn't have the same result, so i'm inclined to think there was some contamination on the tank, despite my cleaning efforts. live and learn, i guess.

everything else has come out splendidly, so i'm continuing to use the stuff. have to pick up a gallon of it now (cost about twice the quart, but four times the product). that should cover the repainting of the tank, the engine and fuel tank compartments, the tops of the wheel wells (i'm welding on new rear wheel arches, exposed a lot of nastiness), and still do the whole underbody. likely i'll have a quart or more of it left even after all that, but i'm thinking of other areas to use it, so maybe not.