Starting the Engine Outside the Car/Bus

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Manfred
Old School!

Starting the Engine Outside the Car/Bus

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:35 pm

So I'm probably going to pull the engine at some point to paint the engine compartment. Might as well do some work on the engine while its out.

Can I start the engine mounted to an engine stand with a fan blowing air on it or something without damaging it?

It would be nice to know the engine is going to fire after I tinker with it before I put it back in.

Or is my utter and complete ignorance showing?

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Carburated or FI?

Carbed.

You need your tranny or a bell housing for the starter. Fuel supply ( lawn mower gas can). some way to pump fuel. a Battery connected to the starter at the heavy lug and a ground wire from the battery to anywhere you can hook a heavy cable to. Jumper cables can be used for power to starter and ground. 2 switches one toggle and one momentary. Wire power to each switch from battery. The toggle should be wired to the + coil and the momentary should go to the starter solenoid terminal. Electric fuel pump can be wired to the toggle switch and grounded to the jumper cable -. flip toggle switch on and push the momentary button. You can run it on the floor or a bench It will want to move around so put some cardboard under it to minimize that.

FI I dunno!
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:50 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:Carburated or FI?
FI. Thanks! So should I have a fan on it. How long can I run it for?

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:01 pm

I don't think it would be easy to run a FI engine outside the car, with the FI, If you had a carb(s) yeah. I wouldn't try to run anything short of a fully assembled engine outside of the car. A box fan won't cut it. You need the tin and cooling fan operating. If i had to do it without all the cooling in place, only seconds to see if it will fire. As soon as it fires up shut it off don't start dinking with it to tune it or anything. Just shut it down as soon as it fires up.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Ok...yea maybe its not worth it. Just thought it might be easier with the air cooled engines.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Once you do it once or twice you can pull the engine in an hour or so. It's not really worth it to rig up something.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Gotcha. So are we still on for Saturday? What time is good?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Manfred wrote:Gotcha. So are we still on for Saturday? What time is good?
Sure. You want a floor jack or an ATV jack?

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Just a floor jack and a couple jack stands. Says its going to rain later in the day. If it's raining earlier, I probably won't come by. PM your number and I'll give you a call before I live or I need to cancel.