(Not) pinging?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

(Not) pinging?

Post by DjEep » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:35 pm

'79, FI:

Makes a pinging type noise (like very intermittent, loud un-pumped hydro-valve clatter) higher in gear (all gears) when cold. Goes away when warm (5-10 minute drive). I was under the impression that pinging would be more likely when hot. Bunk lifter? Pinging? Rat skulls in the fan? I though maybe loose alt belt slappin' the tin, but I didn't see evidence of that.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Piston slap? (I'm guessing - not really sure it fits your description.)
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: (Not) pinging?

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:47 pm

DjEep wrote:'79, FI:

Makes a pinging type noise (like very intermittent, loud un-pumped hydro-valve clatter) higher in gear (all gears) when cold. Goes away when warm (5-10 minute drive). I was under the impression that pinging would be more likely when hot. Bunk lifter? Pinging? Rat skulls in the fan? I though maybe loose alt belt slappin' the tin, but I didn't see evidence of that.
My engine does that too now, in its maturity. Clattery like a sloppy loose valve or six, under cold load only, for no more than two or three minutes after the first start of the day. I have no idea what it is, but I am suspecting something awful.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:59 pm

me too. I gotta sell this thing too...

Hydro valve sticking in the thick oil.?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:23 pm

I have heard piston slap up close and personal, .......she got piston slapped me.

I'd be inclined to think piston slap in cold weather. Especially since it goes away fairly quickly. But I'm not there listening to it.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Piston slap sounds likely.

Just take it easy 'til he warms up?

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Is the sky falling with "Pinging" ? I have always thought of it as - poor, low grade fuel or bad timing in any car I have drivin. Whats up with that?
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:05 pm

DjEep wrote:Piston slap sounds likely.

Just take it easy 'til he warms up?
Piston slap is a nice sound, a mellow soft sound like a well-heeled Mercedes Diesel. It is very consistent. Engine cold. . . piston slap. Engine warm, no piston slap. The cold clackityclattery under load that goes away is meaner sharper more intermittant, and my engine has told me over the past 60,000 miles, to just not worry about it. But it's got to be sumfin offal.
Colin

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:42 am

So, I've got a friend who is very interested in the bus, but a bit scared of the sound. Says he's got $1800 for me if he can be convinced that sound is nothing too horrible, or if it goes away. I told him I was gonna try an oil change, sine it's got 10-30 and some marvel's in there now, so it's pretty thin. I'm gonna try some 20-50, see if that helps somehow, also triple check the timing to rule out pinging, though the temp-relationship-nature confounds me.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Solved! Stupid little nothings!

Loose piece of tin under the fan... :blackeye:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:18 pm

:cherry:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 am

I swear I checked, and the sound seemed to be coming from the #3 area. But today I noticed and replaced a missing screw, sound went away, then came back. Checked, screw had come loose again. Replaced with a better screw, no more sound. :compress:

Go fig on the temp relativity...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:11 pm

Elwood wrote:Is the sky falling with "Pinging" ? I have always thought of it as - poor, low grade fuel or bad timing in any car I have drivin. Whats up with that?
Pinging is very bad news. If the fuel/air ignites before the piston is at the top of the cylinder and tries to push the piston and whole engine backwards. Ain't gonna happen, but the impact against the piston is enormous and can even crush the top of it over time. That delicate little rattling sound to our ears is massive force ringing the metallurgy of the engine.
Colin

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks Colin for the explanation, I get it now ~ no really :cheers:

and dj, glad you found the problem and hope all things go your way soon. You deserve to be a happy man. :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:54 pm

When an engine is running properly the air/fuel burns with a whoosh, flame front starts at the plug and progresses thru the space until it's all burnt. When an engine is pinging the air/fuel mixture ignites spontaneously and it EXPLODES. This slams the piston/rings and is BAD.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.