Changing pushrod tube seals - '73 onwards

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

fido
Getting Hooked!

Changing pushrod tube seals - '73 onwards

Post by fido » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:21 am

Just posted this in response to a question on the JustKampers forum, so thought I'd put it here too...

Nice easy thing to do... Engine in bus. I like to jack the back of the bus up a bit and remove the rear wheels so I can sit and do it.

1. remove rocker covers.
2. remove pushrod tubes retaining spring (take a careful look of how it goes in).
3. remove rockers and put them in plastic bags. inspect the ends of the adjusting screws and replace if pitted or flat.
4. remove pushrods - put in separate bags, noting where they came from (I'm probably a bit OTT, but why not). Note their orientation when pulling em out.
5. remove under pushrod tins and pull pushrod tubes out - try twisting and pulling at the same time.
6. remove any sealing compound / gunk etc on the tubes and where they go in the heads and case.
7. put new seals on, and dip the end of the pushrod tube and seal in some engine oil.
8. put back through head and into engine case (easiest to put htrough the head then hold in the middle and direct into the engine block end, then posh it in by hand ). Use a socket of suitable size to tap the tube home the final inch or so. Be careful not to tear the seal - the head is quite sharp.
9. do same for other tubes
10 put pushrods back in - make sure they are pushed into the cups in the lifters.
11. put rockers back on. 10ftlb for the nuts. Grove goes downwards. Make sure pushrods are in their cups.
12. put pushrod tube retaining spring back on - make sure it pushes on the ends of the tubes - a little hook to pull them back helps (crochet hook - dont tell the missus )
13. adjust tappets
14. new rocker cover gasket, rocker cover back on
15. Drive

16. I always find the pushrods are never quite in there perfectly and the valve gaps change, so after 50 miles I re-do the valve gaps. Not neccessary if you are hydraulic tappets.

Will take about 2 hours first time. Get good quality seals. Use your old tubes if they havent split (quality of new ones isnt great).
73 Westy, 1700 auto, DRLA's, lots of guages...

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:52 am

Excellent walk through. Thanks!
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,