Don's Engine Refurbish: 10,500 Miles Later, Running Great!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Colin and I had some further PM discussion on the wristpin issue, and the plan is to "go for it". Jim at The Air-Cooled Ranch gave me similar guidance. It's a compromise, yes, but a low-risk one, I hope.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:11 am

S..L..O..W..L...Y.... progress is being made. I was out of town for all of the Thanksgiving weekend, and had but a few hours last night to work on the engine.

But, the cylinders and heads are now installed, with the cylinder base shims provided in the gasket kit (much thinner than what was installed before), and the sealing rings in the heads. My CR calculates out to 7.1, which I hope is close enough.

The oil cooler, clutch, and pressure plate are also installed. More progress tonight, I hope!
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:42 am

The engine is fully assembled, dressed, mated to the transmission, and installed in the Bus. Now all the various connections need to be made.

I'm tired, I want to be done, and I'm making stupid mistakes that slow me down. Like trying to install the rear engine support backwards. :geek:

Time to stop trying to hurry. But, I'm hopeful I will turn the key sometime this weekend.

Please pray, meditate, or do whatever it is you do to send some energy my way for a positive outcome.....

Thank you!!!
Don

78 Westy

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:24 pm

vwlover77 wrote:The engine is fully assembled, dressed, mated to the transmission, and installed in the Bus. Now all the various connections need to be made.

I'm tired, I want to be done, and I'm making stupid mistakes that slow me down. Like trying to install the rear engine support backwards. :geek:

Time to stop trying to hurry. But, I'm hopeful I will turn the key sometime this weekend.

Please pray, meditate, or do whatever it is you do to send some energy my way for a positive outcome.....

Thank you!!!
GOOD LUCK!!! :compress:

If you marked all your wires before removal that will make things easier.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:41 pm

:cheers: Take as long a break as you need. That's what I do. It will all look better later. :sleepy2:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:14 pm

bus71 wrote::cheers: Take as long a break as you need. That's what I do. It will all look better later. :sleepy2:
Definitely. Plus, I don't know how many times I've spent hours working on a problem just to have the obvious, simple solution come to me while in the shower or in bed.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:01 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I DROVE MY BUS TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drunken:

BUTTERY SMOOTH IDLE THAT DOESN'T STINK!!!!! :flower:

SMOOTH, QUIET ACCELERATION!!!!!! :cyclopsani:

TORQUE AT LOW REVS!!!!!! :alien:

NO LEAKS OR NOISES!!!!!! :compress:

As you can see, I'm a bit pumped up at the moment!!!!!

I could listen to it idle all night........... Dreamy!!!!

Thanks to all who have supported me through this adventure - my first ever complete engine teardown. And of course a special thanks to Colin and Jim Hayden for all their great consulting and advice.

I think all I have left to do is put the rear bumper back on, and change the oil and filter.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Don

78 Westy

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:53 pm

vwlover77 wrote: I DROVE MY BUS TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drunken:

I love it. You sound just like I did a few weeks ago. Good on ya, bro'!
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:37 pm

:cheers: HOW FABULOUS!! Good on ya Don!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:47 pm

Feels great, no? Congrats!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:51 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
BUTTERY SMOOTH IDLE THAT DOESN'T STINK!!!!!
My, what simple pleasures we have in here.

Give us an update on your opinion about performance vs stock camshafts after your break-in. . . and enjoy the break-in by the way, I remember how I used to marvel that all those parts I touched were actually working in concert back there. The thrill is still there, but not like those first couple of VW/BMW overhauls. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:19 pm

Thanks everyone, it feels great to be at this point - and if I can do it, anybody can do it! :cheers:
Amskeptic wrote:Give us an update on your opinion about performance vs stock camshafts after your break-in. . . .
The break-in will probably be a long one as the Bus will most likely be put away for the winter very soon. :pale: There won't be too many miles logged between now and next Spring.

The comparison of cams will be tainted somewhat by the way-low CR I was running previously. One big difference is apparent already. I could NEVER start from a dead stop at the bottom of my inclined driveway and make it to the top without a whole lot of revving and clutch slipping. The engine would just fall flat no matter how much throttle was fed in without slipping the clutch. Now, I can engage the clutch from idle and fly right up with a little throttle application. I think my clutch will be a lot happier with this arrangement too.
Amskeptic wrote:...and enjoy the break-in by the way, I remember how I used to marvel that all those parts I touched were actually working in concert back there...
I'm marveling, and also a little nervous, given the track record I've had with this engine. Kinda like watching your kid ride that 2-wheeler sans training wheels for the first time! :cyclopsani:

I'll be running errands around town with it tomorrow. Can't wait!
Don

78 Westy

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:44 am

Way to go Don!!! =D> =D> =D>

You are way too mechically inclined NOT to have ventured into the complete teardown realm a long time ago!

Now go out and enjoy that bus finally :flower:
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:45 am

=D>

Kudos!!!!

Thanks for posting the process as well, gives me some extra courage to tackle one of mine in the future....(maybe sooner then later :geek: )
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:22 am

Life is pretty good isn't it.

Nice work Don!
79 VW Bus