Gas Tank Outlet Blockage

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Gas Tank Outlet Blockage

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:51 pm

'78 Westy FI: My brand new Bosch fuel pump was making a lot of noise. I decided to do the pump volume test to find out if I had a blockage somewhere starving the pump (not MY Bus :king: ) or a defective pump (of course that must be the problem).

I disconnected the hose from the cold start valve and connected my test hose running to a clear plastic container that I had marked off at 2 liters, which should have taken 2 minutes or less to fill according to the AFC manual.

When I fired up the pump, it was making its noise, and fuel was BARELY coming out of the hose. Yikes! I disconnected the fuel filter and looked down inside the inlet. It looked clean and was not full of rust or gunk. I was able to blow through it easily.

So, I hooked up my air compressor and forced air back up the line to the tank. Apparently, debris must have collected at the tank outlet because after I did that, fuel was flowing like crazy. The pump put out 2 liters of fuel in 45 seconds, and stopped making noise!

Using the access hole cut by a previous owner, I pulled out the fuel gauge sender to have a peek into the tank. It does not appear rusty at all, even at the seams (as best I could tell with a bright flashlight and a mirror), but I did see a number of small pieces of debris laying on the bottom of the tank which I assume I've redistributed by blowing in the compressed air.

This is not a permanent fix, but I'm wondering how long it might be until the junk collects enough to cause blockage again??? I'm guessing a lot of this collected when I completely drained my tank for the engine removal a couple of months back.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:57 pm

Who knows? Could be a year. Could be later today. I'd say pull it and restore it if you can. Maybe you can drain it then pull the outlet and flush it out as a temporary fix.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

DurocShark