Cleaning engine compartment

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk

Cleaning engine compartment

Post by turk » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:55 pm

I'm currently wiping down the compartment nooks and crannies with a damp cloth to get all the dust and gunk off. I am cleaning the fan with wd-40 and a screwdriver. There's still lots of gunk between each slot. Looks like I'll have to do it again yet. It's going to bare metal. I guess it had black paint on the face but I think it's mostly gunk in the slots. This is the type-4? dual carb 1800 engine? I think. Any tips? Thanks.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Cleaning engine compartment

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:28 pm

turk wrote:I'm currently wiping down the compartment nooks and crannies with a damp cloth to get all the dust and gunk off. I am cleaning the fan with wd-40 and a screwdriver. There's still lots of gunk between each slot. Looks like I'll have to do it again yet. It's going to bare metal. I guess it had black paint on the face but I think it's mostly gunk in the slots. This is the type-4? dual carb 1800 engine? I think. Any tips? Thanks.
Pull the fan right out. Didn't we already do that? Pull it out again! Use your favorite degreaser on the aluminum fins, take it easy on any pretty valve adjustment/timing paint marks. A clean fan is the very first step to a happy healthy cool engine. The fan housing passages that are barely accessible through the hole where the fan used to be can use a good cleaning too if the fan was really gunked up. There is a drain hole at the bottom of the fan housing. If it gets choked with gunk, a safety pin I think will restore its function.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk

Post by turk » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:22 pm

Aha. I knew there was something you could educate me on Colin-- the fan housing passages. I will do it again. That will be three times a charm. I'll get a wire brush to really clean that fan. No, I don't think I would scrape off any pretty timing marks even though I do look like a moron. chitwnvw, I still owe you one. Bison Brand Polish vodka? I don't know. The label is really cool.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:16 am

Try some carb cleaner, it's a little more volitile. Although it may take the paint off.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat