head gasket

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

griffeyfans99
I'm New!

head gasket

Post by griffeyfans99 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:29 am

Hey all,
I ordered some rebuilt heads and in the next couple of days I will be putting them on. My question is, should I put on the gaskets that came in the gasket set? There were no gaskets on the heads I removed, but there was evidence of some leaking.

On a side not, how hard is it to replace the rear crankshaft seal?

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:54 am

VW put out a bulletin in the 70's saying to omit the head gasket. They cause head leaks down the road. Have your machinist cut in a slight lip when you have the heads fly cut. Some say to use some Copper Spray Gasket too. But then some say not to.

Not to hard to do the rear main seal. Just make sure the bore of the engine is spotlessly clean and push it in with nice even pressure. Some people put a slight film of Permatex Gasket Maker around the outside of the seal to make it slide in easier and seal better.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

griffeyfans99
I'm New!

Post by griffeyfans99 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:44 pm

thanks, i got the seal out fine. Does anybody know what that bolt is supposed to be torqued to on the crankshaft?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:20 pm

griffeyfans99 wrote:thanks, i got the seal out fine. Does anybody know what that bolt is supposed to be torqued to on the crankshaft?
What engine? Type 4? REAR seal as in cooling fan end of the engine? Center bolt 13mm deal right into the crankshaft? I do 22 ft/lbs into the end of the crankshaft, the fan to hub bolts I do to 14 ft/lbs with all washers duly installed. Check your Bentley engine specs.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles