flywheel/front main seal

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

satchmo
Old School!

flywheel/front main seal

Post by satchmo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:23 am

I just rebuilt my engine. Put in a new Viton seal at the flywheel end of the crank. It went in nice and square. New o-ring on the flywheel too. Now, of course, it is leaking. How do I know? Drips of oil at the bell housing was the first clue. Plus, I took the engine back out because I am putting in an 091 transmission. There is a nice puddle of oil at the bottom of the seal. Oil galley plugs are fine. Transmission seal is okay too.

So does anyone have a sure-fire way to get the seal in and make sure it doesn't leak? Suggestions appreciated. I don't really want to take the engine out again any time soon, especially just to replace this seal.

Thanks, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: flywheel/front main seal

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:15 pm

satchmo wrote:I just rebuilt my engine. Put in a new Viton seal at the flywheel end of the crank. It went in nice and square. New o-ring on the flywheel too. Now, of course, it is leaking. How do I know? Drips of oil at the bell housing was the first clue. Plus, I took the engine back out because I am putting in an 091 transmission. There is a nice puddle of oil at the bottom of the seal. Oil galley plugs are fine. Transmission seal is okay too.

So does anyone have a sure-fire way to get the seal in and make sure it doesn't leak? Suggestions appreciated. I don't really want to take the engine out again any time soon, especially just to replace this seal.

Thanks, Tim
Tim, it is a matter of course to check for a groove in the flywheel where the seal rides. If you have a groove, install the new seal flush with the crankcase edge, then grease the seal surface on the flywheel and install flywheel with one bolt. Then remove flywheel. See if the grease was pushed right to the groove in the flywheel, or is it shy of the groove? If it is pushed to the groove, drive the seal home. If it is shy of the groove, leave the seal at the flush point. I now have three discrete grooves in my original flywheel and have run out of new installation positions. Please pack inside lip of seal with grease. Please sand flywheel with 220 or 320 grit at a 45* angle clockwise from crankshaft end edge to main flywheel surface. Wash grit off very nicely before installation. I install my seals dry. No leaks. I personally use Permatex Aviation on that rubber seal inside of the flywheel hub area.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks, Colin, although you are a little bit late as I put the seal in last night.

I did most of what you suggested. No palpable groove on the flywheel, but it is shiny in a ring where it rubbed the old seal, so I did the emery paper thing on it. I put a very thin layer of Curil T on the case bore, then tapped the seal into place just flush with the case. I put some oil in behind it and just watched for a while to make sure it did not leak between the seal and the case. I put some oil on the hub of the flywheel where it rubs on the seal and completed the installation of the flywheel.

We'll see how that works. I will probably tolerate a drop of oil at the bell housing after a long drive, but I won't like it. There is just something about having a shiny engine that makes me feel....well, clean.

Tim

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:50 am

Interesting...
the only way I could get the seal to not leak was lightly smearing the whole thing with grease prior to assembly. That and very gently driving it home (the seal).
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:21 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
satchmo wrote:I just rebuilt my engine. Put in a new Viton seal at the flywheel end of the crank. It went in nice and square. New o-ring on the flywheel too. Now, of course, it is leaking. How do I know? Drips of oil at the bell housing was the first clue. Plus, I took the engine back out because I am putting in an 091 transmission. There is a nice puddle of oil at the bottom of the seal. Oil galley plugs are fine. Transmission seal is okay too.

Thanks, Tim
Tim, it is a matter of course to check for a groove in the flywheel where the seal rides. If you have a groove, install the new seal flush with the crankcase edge, then grease the seal surface on the flywheel and install flywheel with one bolt. Then remove flywheel. See if the grease was pushed right to the groove in the flywheel, or is it shy of the groove? If it is pushed to the groove, drive the seal home. If it is shy of the groove, leave the seal at the flush point. I now have three discrete grooves in my original flywheel and have run out of new installation positions. Please pack inside lip of seal with grease. Please sand flywheel with 220 or 320 grit at a 45* angle clockwise from crankshaft end edge to main flywheel surface. Wash grit off very nicely before installation. I install my seals dry. No leaks. I personally use Permatex Aviation on that rubber seal inside of the flywheel hub area.
Colin
I'm trying to better understand this procedure. I understand what you're saying about determining where the seal and groove collide but I get lost after that...

>>Please pack inside lip of seal with grease.

Which lip? The angled part? Just the tiny edge that is supposed to contact the flywheel or the whole part that angles inward, toward the center?

>>Please sand flywheel with 220 or 320 grit at a 45* angle clockwise from crankshaft end edge to main flywheel surface.

Does this mean to sand the "slope" portion of the flywheel?

>> I install my seals dry.

But earlier you said to put grease on the seal.

>> I personally use Permatex Aviation on that rubber seal inside of the flywheel hub area.

Are you talking about the big "O" ring that goes inside of the "slope" on the flywheel?

I have a leak from my bellhousing and need to fix it.. .ONCE!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:51 pm

bottomend wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:>>Please pack inside lip of seal with grease.
Which lip? The angled part? Just the tiny edge that is supposed to contact the flywheel or the whole part that angles inward, toward the center?
The inside of the seal lip where the little spring resides. This helps draw heat away from the contact surface.
bottomend wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: >>Please sand flywheel with 220 or 320 grit at a 45* angle clockwise from crankshaft end edge to main flywheel surface.
Does this mean to sand the "slope" portion of the flywheel?
Ayep.

bottomend wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: >> I install my seals dry.

But earlier you said to put grease on the seal.
Au contraire, gwasshoppa, I say gwease inside wip, not outside pewimeta.
Colinfucious

bottomend wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: >> I personally use Permatex Aviation on that rubber seal inside of the flywheel hub area.
Are you talking about the big "O" ring that goes inside of the "slope" on the flywheel?
The greyish graphite impregnated skinny little o-ring that is inside the bore that the crankshaft seats into, the one and only little o-ring to be found. Do not slather. . . As in life, so too the flywheel o-ring.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:31 pm

Makes sense. Thanks.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:21 pm

How did this ever turn out? Leak solved?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:54 pm

sped372 wrote:How did this ever turn out? Leak solved?
Yes. As Chief Inspector Clouseau would say, "The case is solv-ed."

Tim