Bad cap and rotor

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Bad cap and rotor

Post by whc03grady » Wed May 16, 2007 6:40 pm

I did my valves today and noticed this damage to the center contact on the cap, and the funny pattern on the rotor. What would cause this kind of damage? The bus ran fine, and I replaced both these pieces. The distibutor is a, uh, ahem, 009 [ducks].
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Fri May 18, 2007 3:55 pm

It looks like there may be some endplay in the rotor. That contact in the cap is spring loaded and I'd guess that at the point of ignition for each cylinder, the cap contact is on a different part of the rotor contact. That's what caused the 4 burned spots. This is a pretty far out theory, I know, but it is Friday. Anybody else?
-John
Keep it acoustic.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun May 20, 2007 5:49 am

Why is the fat end of the rotor so beat up? You may be looking at a sloppy distributor shaft. Sounds like a great time to buy an SVDA or at least a stock vacuum distributor.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Bad cap and rotor

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 20, 2007 6:11 am

whc03grady wrote:
I did my valves today and noticed this damage to the center contact on the cap, and the funny pattern on the rotor. What would cause this kind of damage? The bus ran fine, and I replaced both these pieces. The distibutor is a, uh, ahem, 009 [ducks].
Occasionally, a rotor will not be properly seated on the shaft, thus pissing off the brush in the cap. Also, there are thrust shims between the drive lug and the bottom of the distributor to keep the shaft from sticking up too high. Do not indict your distributor if the shaft has a bit of axial movement, it is normal.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles