Help-Clutch Cable Boot

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

westy78socal
I'm New!

Help-Clutch Cable Boot

Post by westy78socal » Sun May 13, 2007 12:15 pm

Any tips how to get the new clutch cable through the old boot cover at the back end. I tried extra grease, WD40 but it get stuck just after the threaded part of cable is all the way in there. Also, that is where the cable shreded, just under the threaded part where you scew the nut onto the transmission and the part covered by the boot. Any ideas why it would do that.

westy78socal
I'm New!

New sleeve

Post by westy78socal » Sun May 13, 2007 3:34 pm

I bought a new sleeve and it went through no problem. Now I have to figure the tension on the clutch. Right now it seems to engage when I bring the pedal up about 1/2-1 inch. Is that about right?

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun May 13, 2007 8:13 pm

I think you're supposed to adjust it from the top down...That is, how much freeplay is there when you push down the pedal before you have resistance. I don't remember how much...maybe 1 to 1 1/2 inches?

Rob

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon May 14, 2007 11:17 am

Loosen/tighten the cable till you have the proper resistance. Should go down about 1/2" - 3/4" before it starts to engage (show resistance). I think I remember Colin telling me that a new cable should be seat closer to 1/2" to allow for a little stretch as it breaks in. Freeplay should not be more than 3/4" though.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 15, 2007 8:28 am

Early buses like slightly less play than later buses. I say, do the 1" to 1-1/2" so you have a good disengagement before the floor and plenty of play at the top. As the disk wears down, it eats up the free-play, so why not err on the side of a little extra play?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

westy78socal
I'm New!

Play

Post by westy78socal » Sat May 19, 2007 7:40 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Early buses like slightly less play than later buses. I say, do the 1" to 1-1/2" so you have a good disengagement before the floor and plenty of play at the top. As the disk wears down, it eats up the free-play, so why not err on the side of a little extra play?
Colin
It seems to be close to half the distance when I push down on the pedal before feeling tension. When I bring it up it's almost an inch before it starts to engage. This is guesstimation of course.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat May 19, 2007 7:43 pm

I have my wing nut nearly all the way up the threads. What, if anything, does one use to shim if they can't take out enough of the slack on the cable?

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat May 19, 2007 8:25 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I have my wing nut nearly all the way up the threads. What, if anything, does one use to shim if they can't take out enough of the slack on the cable?
I'd say get a new cable. That one is very stretched.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun May 20, 2007 5:43 am

Chitwnvw: When you adjust the wingnut, do you clamp or otherwise hold the cable itself? I made that mistake the first time I adjusted my 73. It unwound the cable making it too long, and it soon snapped.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon May 21, 2007 1:24 pm

DurocShark wrote:Chitwnvw: When you adjust the wingnut, do you clamp or otherwise hold the cable itself? I made that mistake the first time I adjusted my 73. It unwound the cable making it too long, and it soon snapped.
I put a cresent wrench on the area before the threads and wedged it in there to keep the cable from spinning.

You must have been real strong to spin that sucker until it snapped! :diabloanifire:

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon May 21, 2007 1:48 pm

Much as I would like everybody to think I'm HeMan incarnate, it snapped while driving. But my unwinding it made it WAY weaker.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 21, 2007 6:23 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I have my wing nut nearly all the way up the threads. What, if anything, does one use to shim if they can't take out enough of the slack on the cable?
You are supposed to shim the cable sheath at the transaxle bracket to get your sag of 1 1/2". Large washers that slip over the metal (plastic?) end of the sheath before it slips into the transaxle bracket, that will get your adjustment wing nut where it belongs. . . except for us early 1973 buses where it was discovered that replacement cables are a little too long. But do the above anyway, it will help.
Colin

westy78socal
I'm New!

Clutch Pedal Noise

Post by westy78socal » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:04 pm

Should I tighten up the clutch cable if the pedal is sort of squeeking when I push it down and when it comes up?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Clutch Pedal Noise

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:12 am

westy78socal wrote:Should I tighten up the clutch cable if the pedal is sort of squeeking when I push it down and when it comes up?
No, not necessarily. What you should do is to lubricate everything in the clutch actuation system.
A) disassemble the pedal pivot and lubricate the bushings
B) yank the cable right out of there and grease the heck out of it as you reinstall it.
C) remove transaxle bracket (two 13mm nuts) and remove the vinyl-coated flexible cable sheath known as the Bowden tube, rinse all the rusty crap out of it, follow with a bath of engine oil then reassemble and run the greasy cable up through to the wing nut whichj needs a big dose of grease where it pulls the actuating arm. . . see that spring coiled around the actuating arm's shaft, lubricate it.
D) either ensure that the cable boot is accounted for, or put a big plug of grease where the cable comes out of the Bowden tube.

No more s-q-u-e-a-k-i-n-g :flower: