WHEN to check the oil?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Mon May 14, 2007 10:15 am

oh! great!

Thanks.

I likely won't get to this for a few weeks - I assume it's OK if it leaks as long as I watch the oil level?

Should I just replace the push-rod tubes while I'm at it, or is that necessary?
Love your bus.

77 Westy

tellis
I'm New!

Post by tellis » Mon May 14, 2007 6:08 pm

As long as they are not all beat up and there are no holes in them, you should be fine, unless you just feel like buying a new set. Usually, however, they clean up just fine. :)
1979 Westy
1971 Standard Beetle
1976 deluxe Westy
1974 Standard Beetle

www.dallasaircoolers.com
www.aircoolers.org

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Mon May 14, 2007 7:57 pm

The link that tellis posted is a good start but, depending on your mechancial abliity, you could get lost in a few key areas. Read the link and post back your thoughts.

I can write you a COMPLETE step-by step guide on how to do the job if you'd like.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Mon May 14, 2007 8:42 pm

Have I said how much I appreciate you all lately?

Ok, I've got a friend who will help me do this hopefully, but it won't be for a few weeks. I'll take a closer look through the link when I can really concentrate on it and get back to you.
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:33 pm

One thing that might help is if you have a digital camera take a pic of the rocker assembly and how the wire retainer fits under them. It seems like a daunting task but it's actually pretty easy. One thing you want to make sure of is that the areas around the tubes is nice and clean before you start working. You don't want dirt and such dropping down into the engine when you go to R&R them. Also make sure that the bore they fit down into is nice and smooth. You don't want rough edges cutting your new seals when you push them back into place and causing another leak.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Tue May 15, 2007 2:33 am

See westy, it's info like that stuff that they've left out of the link that was posted. I mean, I have to hand it to somebody for at least creating a write up and building a website to put it in but... man, there are SOOOO many little things like you just wrote that if not mentioned, can turn a cool learning experience into a real nightmare.

Like the very first thing it talks about in the link is jacking up the vehical. What happens if a person has never jacked up a vehical to do work on it? It's not the same as jacking to replace a blown tire, right? There are a bunch more things that need to be addressed so someone doesn't get hurt or something doesn't get damaged.

I dont know this girls level, but I would assume it's on the low side. If she has an experienced friend to help her, great(!) but if not, then the last thing I want to do is get someone half started on a job and then abandon them in the middle somewhere. It's happened to me many times and it's the worst feeling.

People get into this mechanic stuff with a great attitude and everyone is very encouraging but they don't fill you in on some key details and you quickly get in over your head. Then, the nearest person that can help you is 1000 miles away so the weird emails start. BTDT. Not fun.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 15, 2007 8:18 am

Bleyseng wrote:Its no problem if its over the top line by a 1/8th of a inch (4mm) as we run 914's like that all the time to just have a little more oil in the sump.
Yeah well youse Porschy types have "windage trays" too, you knows.
:blackeye:

(I sez don't go over da mark or youse become da mark, kapische?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Tue May 15, 2007 9:40 am

Well, thankfully, the guy who helps me is pretty good with this sort of thing.

I'll make sure he reads the write-up as well.

I agree, though - quite often these "write-ups" are still a little complicated for me. I mean, I'm reasonably intelligent and once I "get" something, I "get" it, but for me, engines are brand new. I didn't grow up with them. Case in point, I DID grow up messing with electronics (pulling things apart...) and as far as the electronics and wiring goes, I'm fairly confident. Not that I'm a superstar - I just understand how it works, so with some time, I can usually sort it out. I can read the electrical diagrams in the Bentley though!

Right now, what I lack is confidence. I'm afraid of doing something wrong and messing things up. I'm the same way with body work. I know it can't be TOO hard (I've met some autobody guys...) and I'm quite good with my hands (I'm an artist after all! I have done sculpting...)

And that's where you all come in. If I have question, there is almost always someone who can help me. I'll get better - it just takes time, right?
Love your bus.

77 Westy

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Tue May 15, 2007 5:01 pm

OK, well I read though the Bartnik "how to", and although I'm sure I'll have other questions, my first one is this:

Will I need to adjust the valves when I'm done? (does a 77 have solid or hydraulic lifters?)
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:39 pm

77_Bus_Girl wrote:OK, well I read though the Bartnik "how to", and although I'm sure I'll have other questions, my first one is this:

Will I need to adjust the valves when I'm done? (does a 77 have solid or hydraulic lifters?)
If you don't rotate the engine at all when everything is removed in theory your valve lash should stay the same. In reality though, I wouldn't feel comfortable letting it go without checking. The '77 should have solid lifters. It'll be easy to verify once you pull the tubes and rods. Since you'll be in there I'd recommend pulling one of the lifters out of the bore to check what kind of wear you have on it and the cam. One of those telescoping magnets work well to pull them out. Another thing I don't know if the article states is that you should keep all push rods and lifters organized and make sure they go back into the same bore they came from. Also keep the push rod oriented in the same direction it came out, ie, the end that was in the lifter goes back into the lifter.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.