Why are 2 push rods sticking out farther than the others?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Why are 2 push rods sticking out farther than the others?

Post by deadaheadub » Wed May 09, 2007 11:25 pm

I replaced my push rod tube seals. Putting the rods back in, #3intake and #2exhaust rods wouldn't go in quite as far and now seem to stick out a bit farther than the others(maybe 2-3 mm or so), and the valves are really tight as I try to tighten the assembly nuts, much tighter than the others. What might I have done wrong in reassembling it? And more importantly how can I correct it?
Thanks for help to the inept noobie

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:15 am

Most likely the push rods are sitting on the edge of the lifter instead of down in the cup of the lifter. Loosen the adjusters enough and spin them down into the lifter cups.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Post by deadaheadub » Thu May 10, 2007 6:47 am

Thanks, Westy78, but it was sticking out that little bit and I tried getting it in further before I even put the p.r. assembly on.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:42 am

They will not seat into their final position on the valve lifter until the rocker arms are there to hold them in place. If you have a good, bright work light, you can sight down the length of the pushrod to the lifter and see if they are properly centered. I find that a finger slipped into the pushrod tube below the pushrod after the rocker assembly is fitted up into position (but not tightened down) helps get it cenetered on the lifter.

I use one hand to position the pushrod while the other presses the rocker arm against the pushrod...
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Post by deadaheadub » Thu May 10, 2007 11:14 am

vwlover77 wrote:They will not seat into their final position on the valve lifter until the rocker arms are there to hold them in place. If you have a good, bright work light, you can sight down the length of the pushrod to the lifter and see if they are properly centered. I find that a finger slipped into the pushrod tube below the pushrod after the rocker assembly is fitted up into position (but not tightened down) helps get it cenetered on the lifter.

I use one hand to position the pushrod while the other presses the rocker arm against the pushrod...
I get what you're saying, but those 2 stuck out farther than the others even before I put the rocker assembly on, when I just had the tubes sticking out. Moving them around with my fingers, trying to find the center, I couldn't get them to go in any farther.

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Post by deadaheadub » Thu May 10, 2007 9:07 pm

Well, I learned today that the rods go in and out as the crankshaft goes round and round! I put the fan back on and turned it some like I'm adjusting the valves and it made some of the rods go in and some go farther out.
Duh.
Well, I'm learning. That's a good thing, since I got so much to learn...

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:27 pm

It just dawned on me that this is what your were seeing and was about to post. Good on ya for figuring it out on your own. Now if you ever take the rocker assembly off and see different heights on the valve stems then you have reason to be concerned.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 12, 2007 8:14 am

deadaheadub wrote:Well, I learned today that the rods go in and out as the crankshaft goes round and round! I put the fan back on and turned it some like I'm adjusting the valves and it made some of the rods go in and some go farther out.
Duh.
Well, I'm learning. That's a good thing, since I got so much to learn...
Only install rocker assembly when that cylinder is at TDC with the distributor rotor pointing to that cylinder's spark plug wire in the cap. The rocker assembly nuts cannot overcome valve spring pressure if you try to assemble with a valve open (that'sthe sticking-out push rod).
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles