replacing the dipstick tube boot

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deadaheadub
I'm New!

replacing the dipstick tube boot

Post by deadaheadub » Mon May 07, 2007 9:27 am

Is there a good write-up somewhere for changing the boot on a 2.0L FI without removing the fan housing and tin in front of the alternator? Mine's a leaky mess.
Thanks

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Mon May 07, 2007 10:11 am

I think it can be done without removing anything, but you need tiny fingers, lots of patience, nice pliable rubber, and lots of patience. I think there was a discussion on the Samba that involved zapping the rubber in the microwave or putting it in boiling water for a minute to soften it up. I remember forgetting mine and having to put it on with everything in the car, so it can be done. I think KY helps too.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: replacing the dipstick tube boot

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 07, 2007 2:16 pm

deadaheadub wrote:Is there a good write-up somewhere for changing the boot on a 2.0L FI without removing the fan housing and tin in front of the alternator? Mine's a leaky mess.
Thanks
Park the car on a slight to moderate downhill.
Remove dipstick.
Tear off old boot. Clean surfaces of metal dipstick tube and oil filler pipe with GumOut.
Look at how much you will need to stretch the boot to get it over the oil filler pipe dipstick hole flange.
Warm your new boot in hot water with a little bit of detergent.
Run it out to the car and start the boot on the bottom radius of the oil filler pipe dipstick hole flange. Rotate the boot as you push it over the flange.
Now be careful. Some engines have the metal pipe-through-the fan housing too close to the oil filler pipe. If this is the case, you cannot reliably expect to compress the boot and ooze its other end onto the pipe. I loosen the 13mm nuts holding the oil filler pipe onto the engine and just bend the oil filler pipe downwards to get the room I need. Even if the gasket tears, it seals right up again when you snug the 13mm nuts back up to your best guess of 14 ft/lbs.
If you can see the seams on the sides of the new boot, make them horizontal. Less likely to crack.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Post by deadaheadub » Mon May 07, 2007 4:35 pm

Thank you, Colin! Shall try!

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Wed May 09, 2007 12:43 pm

Bring a flashlight too. Even if it's in the middle of the day because it's kinda buried up in there quite a ways.

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Post by deadaheadub » Wed May 09, 2007 11:47 pm

I got it done. There seemed to be plenty of room between the 2 pipes. The only major trick was getting all over the bigger pipe at first, then it went pretty easy onto the smaller. I hadn't known before that there were 2 separate pipes that it spanned.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun May 20, 2007 5:46 am

Deadahead: Where did you buy your boot? The reason I ask is the current aftermarket ones seem to last 1-2 years, so you may be doing this again soon.

airhead is selling Viton dipstick boots now for a couple bucks more. They should last MUCH longer.

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Post by deadaheadub » Mon May 21, 2007 7:03 pm

DurocShark wrote:Deadahead: Where did you buy your boot? The reason I ask is the current aftermarket ones seem to last 1-2 years, so you may be doing this again soon.

airhead is selling Viton dipstick boots now for a couple bucks more. They should last MUCH longer.
Bus Depot said theirs are Viton, as well. With the word out, don't know why anyone would buy or sell non-Viton boots.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon May 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Gawd! I spent 2 hours doing that once. I should have asked first... :scratch:

Rob