Rocker arms washers

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Rocker arms washers

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:47 am

On a '73 Type 4, is the assembled order - rocker arm, washer, spring, washer, rocker arm?

So only washers on the spring side of the rocker arm? And the washers are thick? Not wavy? And only 1 washer per rocker arm?

For some reason, I'm putting this back together and I have 7 of the thicker thrust washers and one wavy type washer! I assume the correct way is a thrust washer to box in each end of the spring. And there's no washer on the outside of the rocker arm?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Rocker arms washers

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:30 am

chitwnvw wrote:On a '73 Type 4, is the assembled order - rocker arm, washer, spring, washer, rocker arm?

So only washers on the spring side of the rocker arm? And the washers are thick? Not wavy? And only 1 washer per rocker arm?

For some reason, I'm putting this back together and I have 7 of the thicker thrust washers and one wavy type washer! I assume the correct way is a thrust washer to box in each end of the spring. And there's no washer on the outside of the rocker arm?
No washers on the outsides of the rocker arms, thrust washers next to the springs. Dress the outsides of the rocker arms on a flat glass with 220 sandpaper if they show evidence of having been cut by the slot of the rocker arm support. Wash the rocker arms thoroughly! with soap and water when you are done. Lubricate with engine oil just before assembly.You may want to insert washers between the rocker arm and the support if the valve adjuster tip does not have the proper offset from the valve tip. This is important so check it carefully. The adjuster tip must be just to the side of the dead center of the valve tip to promote valve rotation.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles