Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Cleaning my motor and cooler replacement in 82 camper

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:24 pm

ewalt98 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:46 pm
I have been driving it for a few days, and so far, the oil temp seems to sit right around 210-215 via my gauge in the taco plate and verified with my laser thermometer. It is currently in the 50s-70s here. I have also checked my head temps after a short drive and idle where I could get the laser on it, and it has been around 360-390.

It is still really hard to start when cold, though. Used to fire right up, even after sitting for a month. I did find that I had mislabeled the thermotime and aux air plugs, so they were initially swapped, but even with them swapped back, it still takes a ton of cranking to start when cold. It seems to be fuel related, like maybe the cold start valve has suddenly failed, though I didn't touch it. I should mention that I tested the Temp II sensor and the aux air, and they both check out.

I had to replace the thermotime switch plug with a spare. Is it possible that I have the wires swapped? I wouldn't think it would matter as it is simply measuring resistance, right? Kinda sucks that all these plugs are the same.

One good note, I had a pretty erratic vacuum reading before, now it is a nice steady 9-10 in/Hg at idle. I know, low, but this is a high mile air cooled VW.

Check to see that critical red/white wire is actually attached to starter spade terminal. It goes to double relay. It turns on fuel pump during cranking AND supplies voltage to the cold start valve.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles