1982 vanagon type 4 engine, deck height allowable variance

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

1982 vanagon type 4 engine, deck height allowable variance

Post by MountainPrana » Wed May 13, 2020 10:25 am

Quick question on what the allowable variance in deck height from cylinder to cylinder is?

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: 1982 vanagon type 4 engine, deck height allowable variance

Post by asiab3 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:57 am

I don't know of a published spec, but you have tricks to play still, I think.

If your rods are evenly balanced, and the bearing clearances stay in spec after, move the rods around to see if any are shorter. It's not uncommon to have small variances in rod length. (I'm talking .005" or less, but some get less lucky with their rod rebuilders.)

You also must keep the cylinders-to-head interface "square" so moving piston/cylinder (keep them matched) sets around the engine could net you a few thousandths as well, as long as it doesn't result in a sealing issue, (or throw off your engine balance. I typically keep the two heaviest pistons across from each other, and the lightest pistons across from each other.)

Good luck!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Thu May 14, 2020 5:14 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:57 am

Good luck!
Robbie
Thanks for the advice Robbie. I think any variance in deck height that I may have is due to the cylinder bores being slightly uneven. I need to do some forensic work one of these days in the hopefully not to distant future.

Also I've heard mention of a 3,000 mile maintenance check on newly replaced Cylinder heads here on the Itinerant and am wondering if anyone could give me the down load on what all is recommended for that? I'm still not seeing the power that I would expect from the motor rebuild that Molly and I completed 2 winters ago. It's been mostly garaged but has about 3,000 miles on the new motor.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 26, 2020 1:58 pm

MountainPrana wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:14 pm
asiab3 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:57 am

Good luck!
Robbie
Thanks for the advice Robbie. I think any variance in deck height that I may have is due to the cylinder bores being slightly uneven. I need to do some forensic work one of these days in the hopefully not to distant future.

Also I've heard mention of a 3,000 mile maintenance check on newly replaced Cylinder heads here on the Itinerant and am wondering if anyone could give me the down load on what all is recommended for that? I'm still not seeing the power that I would expect from the motor rebuild that Molly and I completed 2 winters ago. It's been mostly garaged but has about 3,000 miles on the new motor.

There is an oil and filter change/valve adjustment/exhaust and intake fasteners re-torque at 100 miles, 1,000 miles, then every 3,000 miles on tune-up day, but no special considerations of a head replacement. If you want, you can remove the rockers at 3,000 miles and check head nuts for any torque loss of more than 10-15%, but if no symptoms, I would not worry about it.

See what your acceleration time is for 50 to 60 mph on level ground no wind, both directions. Let us know.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles