Don's (vwlover77's) Engine Build

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Don's (vwlover77's) Engine Build

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am

I'll use this thread to document my adventures, and ask many stupid questions, for my (mostly) new engine build. It's going to be a stock 2.0L hydraulic lifter engine.

I have obtained a GD engine case that seems to be in good condition.

The first questions are: Which of the original oil gallery plugs should be replaced with threaded plugs? ALL 11 of them, or just a subset? And is this something I dare undertake myself, or should I leave it to a machine shop?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Don's (vwlover77's) Engine Build

Post by SlowLane » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am
The first questions are: Which of the original oil gallery plugs should be replaced with threaded plugs? ALL 11 of them, or just a subset? And is this something I dare undertake myself, or should I leave it to a machine shop?
FWIW, I left the original stock gallery plugs alone when I did my rebuild. Just swabbed them with a thin coat of JB Weld, which I expect will do absolutely nothing to prevent them from loosening if they are determined to come loose, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

So far, no issues. I'm in the "Ain't broken? Don't fix." camp on things like cutting threads in case bores that weren't sized for standard thread sizes to begin with.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:47 am

When I built my 2.0, I had Rocky Jennings (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1107153) do the oil gallery plugs. I don't recall how many there were, but I don't think it was 11. Five or six maybe. He had all the jigs for drilling and tapping (I think he may sell them to DIY folks), and he does this routinely as part of any engine build he does.

Satchmo
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:21 am

Someone on the Samba there's a diagram showing which get drilled and how. Personally I wish I hadn't had mine drilled. The machine shop I used did a bad job..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:39 pm

I am of the Leave Them Alone School, after they pass a close visual test for any evidence of leakage.

A good thread/tap job is nice, but I have seen several disasters.

I did lose a flywheel end gallery plug in 2002. I never did thread that hole, just slammed the old gallery plug back in with JB Weld. It lasted 7 years and 150,000 miles. I would not recommend that to anyone, it is just a fact that a careful prep and JB Weld job can be done in a laundromat parking lot with interested bystanders ...
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm

It strikes me as akin to having your appendix removed as a precautionary measure.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:02 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
I'll use this thread to document my adventures, and ask many stupid questions, for my (mostly) new engine build. It's going to be a stock 2.0L hydraulic lifter engine.

What are you going to do with the case before moving forward? Get it measured so you know what bearings to use? Does it need or has it already had an alignbore?
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:19 am

airkooledchris wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:02 pm
vwlover77 wrote:

What are you going to do with the case before moving forward? Get it measured so you know what bearings to use? Does it need or has it already had an alignbore?
We have been discussing the need to clean, to torque up, and measure the case saddle bores. The fastest way to determine alignbore is to put a boring bar through the saddles and see if all rotates smoothly.
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:26 am

Don, you recently posted pictures of your case on the samba along with some questions about the #1 bearing saddle. I’m on my phone so pardon the fact that I’m not quoting and highlighting...

With the amount of crud in the bell housing, I wouldn’t even break out the tools until the whole thing is CLEAN. Someone suggested using a file to clean the edges.... Metal removed can not be put back, so it’s worth taking the time to thoroughly clean the works before making a judgement call on machining.

My two cents,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:10 am

The cleaning is in-process now. What a MESS!!! No abrasive or file of any type shall touch any machined mating surface!
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:19 am

So here's an update.....

The engine case with the questionable bearing saddle gap was cleaned up and shipped to European Motorworks in Hawthorne, CA. They thought they might be able to salvage it. Despite being very well packed, it was apparently dropped in shipment and the oil breather section of the case was broken off upon arrival. Luckily, the insurance will nearly cover the cost of one of their align-bored cases with threaded oil gallery plugs.

The crank and connecting rods are also with them for inspection and rework. I'll be buying all bearings, a new stock cam, cam gear, and hydraulic lifters from them also.

Meanwhile, I'm collecting other parts:
- New Brazilian Mahle Pistons and Cylinders from Bus Depot
- New Flywheel and main seal from GoWesty
- New Clutch disc and pressure plate from Bus Depot

I missed out on the last pair of Len Hoffman Blueprint Special heads on the shelf by one day. I'm on his waiting list for the next batch.
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:06 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:19 am
So here's an update.....

The engine case was dropped in shipment and the oil breather section of the case was broken off upon arrival.

Len Hoffman Blueprint Special heads waiting list.

I am agog.
Me too.
ColinInAtlantaFor20Minutes

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:17 pm

I bought a new Luk clutch kit and a new GoWesty flywheel. It it worth having them balanced for a stock engine?
Don

78 Westy

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:13 am

Yes, if you plan to drive above idle. Are the GoWesty flywheels the same new Chinese flywheels that other outfits are selling? I talked to Jose at DPR about them, and he said they were acceptable, but most still required balancing to get into factory balance tolerance.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:01 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:13 am
Are the GoWesty flywheels the same new Chinese flywheels that other outfits are selling? I
Yes, I believe so. I will plan on having it balanced along with the pressure plate assembly.
Don

78 Westy