my (boring) engine rebuild thread

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: my (boring) engine rebuild thread

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:16 pm

more baby steps.... relabeled my zip lock bags (originally did sharpie right on the plastic, it was wearing off, so re-did on maksing tape). Got the parts are lined up on my harbor freight cart (BTW, this little cart is pretty handy! Would recommend for anyone who likes to wrench in the garage). Found some pieces that needed cleaning and painting, so took care of those. Got the first few pieces attached to the long block (yeah!). Also tested my t-stat....and it works!!! who'd a thunk? Had to order a new cable for it...and a bunch of other misc stuff. My goal for next weekend is to get it completely prepped and ready to install.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:55 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:16 pm
more baby steps.... relabeled my zip lock bags (originally did sharpie right on the plastic, it was wearing off, so re-did on maksing tape). Got the parts are lined up on my harbor freight cart (BTW, this little cart is pretty handy! Would recommend for anyone who likes to wrench in the garage). Found some pieces that needed cleaning and painting, so took care of those. Got the first few pieces attached to the long block (yeah!). Also tested my t-stat....and it works!!! who'd a thunk? Had to order a new cable for it...and a bunch of other misc stuff. My goal for next weekend is to get it completely prepped and ready to install.

Anti-seize the engine tin screws!
Test fit tins before assembly, and straighten so they fall into alignment where the screws just slip in and start. Stressed tins crack!
Colin!
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:11 am

Amskeptic wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:55 pm
Anti-seize the engine tin screws!
Test fit tins before assembly, and straighten so they fall into alignment where the screws just slip in and start. Stressed tins crack!
Colin!
Thanks for the tip ... wouldn't have thought of it, as I never had problems getting them out (probably because with all the oil leaks it used to have, it kept all the tins nicely lubricated. :flower: ). Most of the tins did fall right into place (i took pains not to bend when I removed them).

For the rest of the forum, learn from my mistake....don't forget that pesky little gasket that goes on between the oil cooler and the tin. I had all of the sheet metal on, alternator, dipstick, etc and realized I forgot it. It took me an hour to take everything off, install the gasket, and put everything back on.

Next up is exhaust installation. Picking out the best of the worst from the two exhaust setups. I do have a brand new LH heat exchanger that I bought 15 years ago that will get installed...going to take a gamble on one of my used RH. If it's bad, shouldn't take more than an hour or two to R&R. I figure at $329, and relatively low effort to replace if bad is a safe bet.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Spent a good 30 minutes with a file sanding the exhaust manifolds flush, also wallowed out the holes a bit on one to relieve tension on the exhaust studs...might pull it off and do this a bit more, as the fit is tighter than i would prefer.

And then, here is my Dilema. I bought a new left side heat exchanger 15 years ago, but never got around putting it on the bus. I have two complete stock exhaust systems, however, after I've inspected both, I'm not sure/can't tell if I have a good right one. None of the exhaust elbows are great...all four have bowed flanges from over tightening. So I was thinking, if I have to buy a left side heat exchanger and two new elbows at $100 each, it would be about the same as converting over to the the simpler system from 73/74. Neither option is cheap. So I took a grinder and a flat file to the elbows to get rid of enough of the bow so that I should get a decent seal, and I'm going to bolt up the better looking of the two used manifolds. If I get lucky, and it doesn't leak, bonus. If it does, I can replace the exhaust fairly easily
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:02 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:11 pm
...So I was thinking, if I have to buy a left side heat exchanger and two new elbows at $100 each, it would be about the same as converting over to the the simpler system from 72-74. Neither option is cheap...
The 72-74 system is definitely superior. Heat exchangers are one thing, but the hard part might be the proper tin. I haven't looked since I converted mine (can it really be 14 years ago?), but I felt lucky to find it way back then.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:42 am

Thanks for the heads up.....didn't even think about the engine tin. Guess I'm stuck with what I've got.

On a side note, I ordered new heater tubes (go from the exchanger to the heater control box) from CIP1. Really impressed with the quality, however, both ends of the tube are round, whereas the the original is oval where it fits onto the exchanger. It's going to be fun doing that myself.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:41 pm

More baby steps.... Got a case of "while you're in there..." I decided to replace the sending unit in the gas tank (it was show full, when full, and then empty once I went through 1/2 a tank) and figured it would be a good time to replace the rubber gasket between the fuel 'door' and the fuel neck. Had to go to Depot and get a new gas can (I HATE these new child proof designs...stupid) I had about 8-10 gallons of gas I had to siphon out. I got the sending unit replaced, and the new rubber gasket on...hopefully tomorrow will have time to put the tank back in. Nice thing about draining the tank, is i can completely replace ALL of the fuel lines.

If I get the tank back in tomorrow, I'm thinking I might be ready to do put it in next weekend....fingers crossed.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Okay - other things that go on very early that you DON'T want to forget (in addition to the rubber gasket that directs air into the oil cooler as mentioned previously) are the two engine mounts that bolt onto the back of the engine block. Fortunately my torque wrench barely fit in, and with 1/64 of a turn at a time I was able to snug up the top bolt.

Worked on the exhaust a bit ... had to grind on the new heat exchanger so it wasn't rubbing on the oil filter. Mocked everything up, looks like it will fit well, so next step is to put it together.

After exhaust I'll be futzing with heat exchanger connectors that I got from CIP1. nicely built...but fit POORLY. Since when does an ellipse look like a circle? I REALLY would like some modicum of heat. I'm not looking to drive it in the dead of winter, but it would be nice to be comfortable inside if it is 40 degrees outside.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Exhaust is installed. last two pieces are the two tins/pipes that connect to the heater control boxes. I bought replacements for both sides, as i flattened one by accident, and the other was a bit rusty. However, the new ones don't have the correct oval opening on the heat exchanger side - it's round. So it's going to take some futzing to get it to fit. I have to replace the one I rolled over with the bus; we'll see how much work it takes to get a decent fit on the heat exchanger; if it isn't too bad, will do the same with the opposite side, otherwise, I'll just use the old one.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:21 pm

The replacement metal heater tubes I bought from CIP1, while the construction quality was really good, they fit like dukey. I was able to massage the right/passenger side to fit (fortunately, this is the one I rolled over) but the driver side simply wasn't going to be worth the effort. I don't know if these were more designed to fit the A/C Vanagon (are they different?) but very poor fit.

Regards,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Engine is bolted up, all the electrical connections are connected. Need to futz with the aftermarket heater tube on the passenger side, put in the S boot and the related vacuum hoses, and then the fun begins. Plan is to fire it up on Sunday.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Good luck! πŸ™
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:11 pm

and...she won't start. :( I have some trouble shooting to do. Checked all of the easy stuff
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:10 am

...and she started! Finally. Check my post on thesamba if you want to see the drama...hey I'm a poet and didn't know it. Cliff notes, fan pulley was turned either 90 or 180 degrees (will find out today) so my timing mark was way off.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:49 pm

Took Tripod out Saturday, running awesome! Now I get to focus on suspension, heat, etc. Ordered a new center pin, should help handling in the wind.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod