74 Thing frozen valve adjust screw

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

skip
Getting Hooked!

74 Thing frozen valve adjust screw

Post by skip » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:27 am

Howdy,
I have a 74 Thing I'm patching rust on that ran from gas can after I replaced ignition switch. decided time for a tune up, when I removed the drivers side bail it was very tight and broke, have to drill out remnant, ordered replacement. I check cyl#1 is a little loose, adjust to .006" move to #2 ok, but unable to adjust, spray with PB blaster, try screw driver, slot wants to tear up, use impact driver & hammer, not budging. Tried to double nut it, no, tried vice grip ruin thread. I bought replacement adj screws & nuts. What should I do? remove rocker assy and try heat?

Its hot and high humidity had to take a break come inside and type this. Nothing is easy.

Thanks in advance.

skip
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: 74 Thing frozen valve adjust screw

Post by SlowLane » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Over on TheSamba several users swear by a 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone as the fix for stuck fasteners.

Since the rocker assembly is easily removed, I'd suggest removing it and immersing it (or just the rockers) in a sealed tub of said mixture overnight to see if that helps.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

skip
Getting Hooked!

Re: 74 Thing frozen valve adjust screw

Post by skip » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks SlowLane...good idea. I went back out and worked on it, used a rubber mallet and impact driver and more PBblaster the intake adjust screw finally came out. On the exhaust screw had to use Dremel cutoff wheel to make the slot deeper then as above and it too came out. I'm so glad I don't have to disassemble any further. I guess the PO didn't do any tune up for years for the bail to corrode where it snapped and the valve adjusting screws frozen. Time for a beer i'll adjust tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956