Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Valve cover woes

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 pm

the miz wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:09 am
Dry gaskets in the original valve covers made further improvement...still not 100% drip free, but probably good enough to not spoil a road trip. I’ll be bringing a back up set of pre-gasketed valve covers...
This makes no sense to me. I have been so bad, so cavalier, so neglectful of my valve cover gaskets this summer. I Indian Head shellac-installed cheap cork gaskets in April, they have been on and off a good four times no leaks! no leaks! Why?

Do you have old or new valve covers? They are available new, VW valve covers. The bails should require a pry tool to bring home.
Colin ??
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:39 am

Would be interesting to measure vacuum on both engines.
I wonder if the gaskets kept leaking on Gary due to the opposite issue - excessive blow-by.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:45 pm

tommu wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:39 am
Would be interesting to measure vacuum on both engines.
I wonder if the gaskets kept leaking on Gary due to the opposite issue - excessive blow-by.
Take your oil filler cap off while the engine is running and you will have a front row seat to the actual atmospheric conditions in the crankcase. It is sort of a chuff vacuum/pressure. The gaskets are hideously flimsy nowadays. We need to rant to our suppliers that unlike most every other classic car group, we DRIVE our cars like we MEAN it, and please make the parts equivalent to what they came with!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles