Heads for type IV

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Heads for type IV

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:54 am

I've got Colin coming out for half a day this year and am using that as motivation opportunity to replace the heads. I've got one with a broken exhaust boss (ergo not fixable) and the other has a time cert with a death grip on a plug with probably 50,000.

Discussed with the wife and gave her the three price point options, rebuilt heads from BD, which would be a crap shoot, new heads from BD, better and would have a good base, or a set of heads from Len, rationale is that they are only a couple hundred dollars more than BD heads (I think?).

Leaning towards options two or three, as we don't ever plan on selling the bus and and to pass it down to my daughter at some point. At this point, do not want to do a full engine rebuild, because this one runs so well....wouldn't even think of putting new heads on it if it had quiet exhaust.

So my question is, what are other's thoughts? Get new heads, and have them redone properly when I do rebuild? Spend the money now and get the heads from Len? Is my understanding that Len's heads are only $300ish more than new heads? do they come with the valves, springs, etc?

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Heads for type IV

Post by Jivermo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 am

I stopped by, and visited Len in his shop, in Watkinsville, GA., last year. He took the time to show me how he worked the VW heads that he creates. I wasn’t there to buy a set; I was simply interested in his work. Len’s shop is clean, air conditioned, and well laid out. His work is meticulous, and I’ve seldom met a guy with as much passion about what he does. If, and when, I need a pair of heads, there will be no other choice for me. Spend the money; it will be worth it. His heads are works of art.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tf2qI0Hn2yLKzIH32

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CriCi49cSHA3diQh1

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 am

heads.jpg
im helping a guy put together an engine right now at work. He bought some heads from len.
really nice looking.
60 beetle
78 bus

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:11 am

Ah the life of an… illustrator? :)

I've seen a few sets of Len's heads, and they feel like works of art. I WISH us Type 1 guys had an option for that level of aftermarket quality.

Yes, they come "complete" with everything from valves to rocker and exhaust studs. You will need your old rockers (clean 'em up too!) and new spark plugs, but the rest of the hardware is there.

It's also a great time, since you'll be replacing pushrod tube seals anyway, to pull your lifters and inspect them and the camshaft to give you an idea of what the engine's future holds. Make sure the lifters go back in the same bore they came from, and make sure you get the good Viton pushrod tube seals; I hear that there are some crappy ones on the market though I don't know the differences.

Good luck, and enjoy your soon-quiet bus!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:40 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 am
I stopped by, and visited Len in his shop, in Watkinsville, GA., last year. He took the time to show me how he worked the VW heads that he creates. I wasn’t there to buy a set; I was simply interested in his work. Len’s shop is clean, air conditioned, and well laid out. His work is meticulous, and I’ve seldom met a guy with as much passion about what he does. If, and when, I need a pair of heads, there will be no other choice for me. Spend the money; it will be worth it. His heads are works of art.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tf2qI0Hn2yLKzIH32

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CriCi49cSHA3diQh1

X2

Everytime I tried to save a buck and not buy the best available part for a VW, I got burned. I learned to cry once and then enjoy the quality, fit, finish and durability of good parts.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

busboytom
I'm New!

Post by busboytom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:43 pm

I can attest the product from Len is outstanding. He took the time to chat with me several times prior to my purchase. I elected to upgrade to the ceramic and Teflon coating too.
Prior to installation, my assistant insist I fondle and caress these new heads as they are that beautiful. They're real and they're spectacular... Robbie even had a chance to drive my bus when it was still in break-in mode after a fresh install of new HAM heads....I kept telling him to slow down but that motor seemed to want more and just purred down the Mississippi River road.... was a great to have the bus back again. I even required Robbie to pull a detour to visit a remote wildlife area likely named after the wild man himself....
Attachments
IMG_20171006_082956596.jpg
IMG_20171022_123658592.jpg
IMG_20171005_203149107.jpg
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:17 pm

Will be going with Len. :bounce: I'm getting the coating on the combustion chambers, but forgoing on the externals.

I'm getting a little giddy ... a bus with no exhaust leaks AND I will be able to hook up the heat :cheers:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:52 am

Excellent choice. Eagerly following your progress.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 am

What is the name of the shop?
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 am

vistacruzer wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 am
What is the name of the shop?
Hoffman Automotive Machine
https://newsite.hamheads.com
60 beetle
78 bus

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Sent Len a deposit earlier this week. Should be ready to ship in a month. Started my 'wish list' on bus depot for misc sundries such as gasket kit, tube seals, etc.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 06, 2018 6:54 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:59 pm
Sent Len a deposit earlier this week. Should be ready to ship in a month. Started my 'wish list' on bus depot for misc sundries such as gasket kit, tube seals, etc.
So will we get to do the break-in when I visit, or are you going to be too excited and get it all done before I am anywhere near?

a) get written combustion chamber volumes from Len.
b) write down each of your deck height numbers (coated combustion chamber ceilings means that you can't do little adjustments with a razor blade, you will have to adjust solely with base shims).
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon May 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:54 am

So will we get to do the break-in when I visit, or are you going to be too excited and get it all done before I am anywhere near?

Colin
umm...with a half day scheduled, the plan was to get the heads installed correctly, and spend the rest of the time cogitating capaciously on the vicissitudes of life....
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Gonna have to change your tag line if she's no longer leaky!
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue May 08, 2018 6:04 pm

drober23 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:21 pm
Gonna have to change your tag line if she's no longer leaky!
She may still be a little leaky / weepy....but she better be quiet! :geek:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod