Heads for type IV

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Heads for type IV

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:54 am

a) get written combustion chamber volumes from Len.
b) write down each of your deck height numbers (coated combustion chamber ceilings means that you can't do little adjustments with a razor blade, you will have to adjust solely with base shims).
Colin
a) is covered asked Len, and it will be stamped on the heads. (BTW, should arrive tomorrow :bounce: ). Can you expound a little on b), or point me to a thread that has discussed this?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 24, 2018 8:40 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:54 am
write down each of your deck height numbers, you will have to adjust solely with base shims).
Can you expound a little or point me to a thread that has discussed this?

Find an online compression ratio calculator CIP1 has one.

Punch in displacement, stroke, your combustion chamber volumes, add piston dish, and deck height will be the remaining variable that you solve for your desired compression ratio. It's a fun calculator, play with the numbers.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Hey Colin and crew. I was having dinner with Number One Son (the one with the baggy gym shorts who was willing to get filthy and greasy and tolerated Gumout in the eyes on your first visit), who is now affiliated with this outfit: https://katechengines.com/?_ga=2.803265 ... G9EALw_wcB

He mentioned the $280K investment made in a CNC machine that gives the precision and productivity to make good money porting and rebuilding V8 heads for $500 each. https://store.katechengines.com/mobile/ ... G9EALw_wcB

It reminded me of some of the discussion I've seen about Type IV heads, and how difficult it is to get work done, and how much it costs to find good ones.
cegammel wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:52 pm
Yeah...I spent $800 on my first top end rebuild, which lasted 700 miles ( due to cracked MOFOCO head and excessive end play). I added an additional $1200 for a complete build, which lasted just under 14k miles ( due to a receding valve in an AVP head) ...now I am in $1900 for the heads and seals for this head replacement. I think overall I could have saved $800 by doing a complete build in the beginning with Len's heads. Ignorance is expensive...
https://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/po ... 6&p=230154

He's very happy to consider expanding his business into the VW world, if there is an unmet need he can serve profitably. Is there an opportunity here? I have a couple of old heads I can donate to let them play with if you can advise on what needs to be done and judge the result. Whaddya think?
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 pm
Hey Colin and crew. I was having dinner with Number One Son (the one with the baggy gym shorts who was willing to get filthy and greasy and tolerated Gumout in the eyes on your first visit), who is now affiliated with this outfit: https://katechengines.com/
He's very happy to consider expanding his business into the VW world, if there is an unmet need he can serve profitably. Is there an opportunity here?
Let's start with the weakest part of the supply chain and work backwards.

a) original head castings are getting more and more cracked and warped and galled (from lousy valve guide replacements). Currently, almost every head that comes in for a rebuild has numerous cracks. They can be welded by experts in aluminum.

b) so many of the oem heads have been flycut to death. Yes you can shim with solid sealing rings but very people will since they follow the TSB that says delete the sealing rings

c) valve seat installation MUST be done correctly, I would love to see proper nitrogen-chilled high-quality seats pressed into properly heated (400*F+) heads at correct interference and piloted by new guides also correctly installed.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles