SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: 2.0 liter Engine Build

Post by SlowLane » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:25 pm
SlowLane wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 am

You might have gotten lucky. There sure as heck wasn't sufficient clearance when I bolted (er, nutted?) the rockers onto my new AMC heads.re were on my engine.
Very likely that AMC has larger diameter stud bases. Stock German head, notta problem.
Colin
How lucky we are then that VW had the foresight to chamfer the shaft bores in anticipation of one of their future OEMs not sticking to spec. Those thoughtful Germans...

It's just a shame that they chose to not chamfer both sides, then we wouldn't even need to have this conversation. Maybe they figured that they could give parts sales a boost by not doing so.

So, for Mr. Wild Man, and any others reading this thread for T4 engine build tid-bits: If you are tempted to flip your rocker shafts around to give the rocker arms a nice new unworn surface ro ride on: you may get away with it, But, you need to carefully measure to make sure that you can.
Should be easy enough to do. Try fitting each shaft onto the pair of studs where you are intending to put that particular shaft, non-chamfered side towards the head, without using the rocker stands. The shafts will probably be held up by the tapered shoulder(s) of the studs. Measure the gap between the shaft and the rocker mounting pad on the head and compare that to the thickness of the rocker stand at that point. If the gap is less than the amount that the rocker stand holds the shaft away from the head (plus a bit for good luck), yer good. Otherwise, resign yourself to using the worn surface of the rocker shaft. or decide whether you want to experiment with adding enough chamfer to the non-chamfered side of the shaft to give you sufficient clearance.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Huh… I ASSumed the chamfer was to protect the stud threads when installing the arms with the spacer spring tension… The shaft is significantly harder metal than the stud threads, and not everybody perfectly pilots their holes before pressing on…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wild man smith
I'm New!

Post by wild man smith » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm

27857892_10211491960283113_1865510225274980587_nbits.jpg
more clean old machinery

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Hey you! Stop havin' so much fun. Engine buildin' is serious bidniss, dontchaknow?

Funny, but the picture of your oil filter adapter there reminds me of when I was rebuilding my engine, and I was wondering if there was an established test for the spring pressure of the filter bypass valve in the adapter. I mean, you wouldn't want it to open at too low a pressure, but then, what would be too low a pressure? That kept me awake for a couple of nights.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

wild man smith
I'm New!

Post by wild man smith » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Beautiful day here in Porkland, Orygun. made up a curtain today from the other Brazilian Coffee bag I got from the Paper Tiger Coffee on Grand Blvd, Vantucky, Wa. Have a coffee there after taking my Daughter to school some mornings. ran a power wire to energize the coil, It will come out near the Auto Trans Dipstick area. Used that plastic round cable protector stuff. I like the "Clean" look to wiring, carryover from building Choppers I guess. Put the Float charger on my Battery. Getting as much squared away as possible b4 wifey gets surgery this Friday. About 4 weeks recovery for her. Once all bits are together and ready, assembly will go pretty quickly, everything possible will be clean, and ready to bolt together. I plan on mocking up the Dual Carb setup b4 engine install, hope to get it dialed in close. 4 page instruction , lots of bags of hardware. If I do it when the engine is on the jack, there will be more room, and I will be familiar with it when it goes together in the Engine Room. Love Working with NEW carburators, fuel lines, pump and regulator. Ringed Pistons are Cozy in their jugs, have new circlips, and the base shims on # 1, ready to install. Bagged em in gallon Ziplocks. The Lab dog usually lays on the z bed while I am working on her, does not want to be left behind, HAHA. Keep em Rolling fellas and gals............... :flower:

wild man smith
I'm New!

Post by wild man smith » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 am

Back in the garage after a hiatus. Wife had a neck surgery, she is recovered now, had some extra chores for a bit. Halsey Parts Store got my white plastic vibration dampers in for the case bolts, picked up a Bentley manual, and have the cases back together. I took a 1/2 day to re organize the engine components in some semblance of order for the continuing assembly steps. Used this sunny day to recover the sliding door interior, turned out well. Vinyl had shrunk away at the corners, and the underlying pressboard was crumbling in places. Rain in the forecast, back to crank endplay, then bolt up jugs and pistons. trust all on here are well. Out for now. :king:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:27 am

wild man smith wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 am
Back in the garage after a hiatus. Wife had a neck surgery, she is recovered now, had some extra chores for a bit. Halsey Parts Store got my white plastic vibration dampers in for the case bolts, picked up a Bentley manual, and have the cases back together. I took a 1/2 day to re organize the engine components in some semblance of order for the continuing assembly steps. Used this sunny day to recover the sliding door interior, turned out well. Vinyl had shrunk away at the corners, and the underlying pressboard was crumbling in places. Rain in the forecast, back to crank endplay, then bolt up jugs and pistons. trust all on here are well. Out for now. :king:
Feel free to drop photographs and notes and questions. We have others wading into engine disassembly/reassembly.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Where did he go?
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:52 am

Mike Boell wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 pm
Where did he go?

Did you PM/email him?
Colin

wild man smith
I'm New!

Post by wild man smith » Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Ain't gone anywhere, wifey has been in hospital the last 6 weeks, on and off. The Surgeons finally got that piece of colon out of her that was infected. Had tried antibiotics(IV), no go. She is home and resting now. Been plugging away at the Van, Engine is in, foam seal is set in place, Hooking up the coil and fuel to the carbs this week. Exhaust is in place, Need to test fuel pump pressure for the new pump. All fuel lines are new again(8 years on the old ones) , Vacuum line is new to distributer can, Brake Booster getting new in engine room. The hard line is sound, will check the booster connection b4 startup, natch. Pics will be up this weekend for any who are interested, This has been a satisfying project, thank you all again for your experience and help with this "split the case' virgin. hAHA

wild man smith
I'm New!

Post by wild man smith » Wed May 02, 2018 3:47 pm

image_21464trans jack.jpg
This Harbor freight jack worked real well. I bolted two 1x6 to the pad, rested the exhaust boxes on them, and had a easy time stuffing her in.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Thu May 03, 2018 6:34 am

Sounds like you're getting close. Look forward to seeing some pictures.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Break-in Start Video . . . I'd watch that.
Colin :happy1:

wild man smith
I'm New!

Post by wild man smith » Sat May 19, 2018 6:05 pm

5/19.................New Battery installed, reman starter installed. RECHECK and route spark plug firing order correctly. RUNNING!!!. Ran @ 2k for 20 mins. for camshaft break in ( In the Camshaft instructions) TIMING IS VERY CLOSE, Oil drain for the break in oil. Leak @ oil sender area, gonna plumb in the gauge there. Re Adjust Lifters, they are slightly clattery. Gonna eat now, let this baby cool down some. Wife getting healed finally!! Grateful

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 19, 2018 7:47 pm

wild man smith wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:05 pm
5/19.................New Battery installed, reman starter installed. RECHECK and route spark plug firing order correctly. RUNNING!!!. Ran @ 2k for 20 mins. for camshaft break in ( In the Camshaft instructions) TIMING IS VERY CLOSE, Oil drain for the break in oil. Leak @ oil sender area, gonna plumb in the gauge there. Re Adjust Lifters, they are slightly clattery. Gonna eat now, let this baby cool down some. Wife getting healed finally!! Grateful

Good for you. Congratulations! Add torquing the intake and exhaust nuts after a couple of heat/cool cycles.
Colin