Ideal dwell angle

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Ideal dwell angle

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Science VS my insane ravings? You must be crazy.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:41 pm

I put pertronix into Bertha at one point. Shortly after my coil failed. Not long after that I cooked the pertronix hooking it up backwards. Went back to points. The rider blocks kept snapping off until I started using a touch of lube.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:48 am

ruckman101 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:41 pm
I put pertronix into Bertha at one point. Shortly after my coil failed. Not long after that I cooked the pertronix hooking it up backwards. Went back to points. The rider blocks kept snapping off until I started using a touch of lube.
neal

I have been howling for years about using Valvoline Durablend molybdenum-fortified semi-synthetic grease on the rubbing block. Then you get thousands upon thousands of happy trouble-free joyful driving. If you don't, your life unravels into recriminations, breakdowns, firings, marital strife, it is really rough.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:48 am
ruckman101 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:41 pm
neal

I have been howling for years about using Valvoline Durablend molybdenum-fortified semi-synthetic grease on the rubbing block. Then you get thousands upon thousands of happy trouble-free joyful driving. If you don't, your life unravels into recriminations, breakdowns, firings, marital strife, it is really rough.
Colin
Don't forget to add that the family dog, always faithful, will shake his head, and walk away from you. You may find him frequenting other households that have VW buses simply because he no longer trusts your judgement.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:02 pm

I survived the strife lessons taught brought upon me. But since it's been a spell, and often I can be remiss, gonna buffer my insurance and relube that rider path anon.

Woof.

Hey, even see if my dwell has changed since our run to Maupin.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ktk833
I'm New!

Post by ktk833 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:24 am

sgkent wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:17 pm
neal - the amount of energy the coil can pickup and release is finite. It diminishes with RPM. As the RPM gets higher the actual time the points are closed is less and less. The same is true of the time that the energy comes back out of the coil. That is why modern engines use coil packs, one for each cylinder. It helps with the time issue because 1 coil is being split 1 time instead of 4, 6 or 8 which reduces the chance of saturation. FWIW the electricity and magnetism work at the same speed flowing in as flowing out (generally considered to be the speed of light - electro magnetism other than resistance in the circuit). If they didn't flow the same in both ways it would change the law of physics re conservation of energy. Some physicist will probably prove me wrong with some quantum theory but that is the general idea. In fact someone will probably explain that in quantum physics the points are both closed and open at the same time in parallel universes.
Is there any one whose ever considered and successfully installed coil packs on the VW aircooled engine?
I would consider such... but if given more understanding on what triggers the pulse for the coilpack to fire...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:30 am

ktk833 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:24 am
sgkent wrote:
neal - the amount of energy the coil can pickup and release is finite. It diminishes with RPM. As the RPM gets higher the actual time the points are closed is less and less. The same is true of the time that the energy comes back out of the coil. That is why modern engines use coil packs, one for each cylinder. It helps with the time issue because 1 coil is being split 1 time instead of 4, 6 or 8 which reduces the chance of saturation. FWIW the electricity and magnetism work at the same speed flowing in as flowing out (generally considered to be the speed of light - electro magnetism other than resistance in the circuit). If they didn't flow the same in both ways it would change the law of physics re conservation of energy. Some physicist will probably prove me wrong with some quantum theory but that is the general idea. In fact someone will probably explain that in quantum physics the points are both closed and open at the same time in parallel universes.
Is there any one whose ever considered and successfully installed coil packs on the VW aircooled engine?
I would consider such... but if given more understanding on what triggers the pulse for the coilpack to fire...
I am in love with my trusty breaker points and condensor. Only recently, did I discover that I haven't even pulled the points since March of 2017, and I have been around the country twice since then. And I forgot AGAIN to even look at them when I decarbonized the heads last week.
Points will never strand you dead. Coil packs can. They are triggered by a cam position sensor. That can strand you dead.
Colin
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ktk833
I'm New!

Post by ktk833 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:34 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:30 am
ktk833 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:24 am
sgkent wrote:
I am in love with my trusty breaker points and condensor. Only recently, did I discover that I haven't even pulled the points since March of 2017, and I have been around the country twice since then. And I forgot AGAIN to even look at them when I decarbonized the heads last week.
Points will never strand you dead. Coil packs can. They are triggered by a cam position sensor. That can strand you dead.
Colin
Colin
I hear you. I agree. The simplicity in the points system gives plenty of confidence...& doesn't take that much to maintain.
Cheers.