Rebuild or swap?!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cegammel
Addicted!

Re: Rebuild or swap?!

Post by cegammel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Something like this...http://www.busdepot.com/071198009.

I can't vouch for quality, but it is what I used. Overall, I have found bus depot to be fairly good for Vanagon parts...not so much with bug parts.

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Time line:

Clean engine with aluminum safe degreaser. 2 hours.

Remove engine, bag and tag everything. Buy three boxes of sandwich ziplocs. Use painters tape and a sharpie to label every hose and wire. Take pictures. THEN, remove the engine. 4 hours.

Tear down engine...4 hours, again bag and label everything. Don't remove until you know the name of each part. Damned hard to find " shiny doohickey" in Bentley.

Also, check specs on everthing as you take it apart.

Be very deliberate in removing the heads. There are lots of small parts. Keep sides together.

Make a list of parts and place your orders. My first head order, from MOFOCO, took six months, and lasted 30 minutes. Head was cracked when i got it. My second head, through BD, from AVP, cost less, took 2 months. But, it is a chinese part...had some trouble with shipping. An entire truck of parts was stolen, including my head.

2 months on parts..may only take two weeks...really depends on the heads.

Reassembly, very careful to cc the heads, measure deck height, figure out compression ratios, 2 days of concentrated work?

Reinstalling engine, very carefully! 2 hours.

Use the wait time to clean and paint tins, etc. Bench test electronics as per Bentley where possible.

When you get done, you will be very, very proud.

Again, be careful of rusted bolts, especially exhaust. Also, the exhaust system is really heavy...you may want to disassemble before engine removal, and install after engine is back in.

Don't forget sealer...Permatex Aviation, and copper infused exhaust sealant. Clean engine oil, moly grease, silicon grease, and petroleum jelly are all needed. Also, antiseize and loctite...

Not including parts acquisition, 4 days is a fair guess.

Dave91
I'm New!

Post by Dave91 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:07 am

cegammel wrote:Oh! The gasket set you linked is just head gaskets...you need the full engine gasket set...
This would be the right one?
http://www.partsplaceinc.com/products/p ... x?sku=1510

Is there anything else i'm missing? I should be receiving the Tom Wilson book today or tomrrow so will start by looking at that..
Do you guys usually order all parts or you order as you go??
Thanks

Dave91
I'm New!

Post by Dave91 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:12 am

cegammel wrote:That looks right for the cam and lifters. The lifters I used were cheaper, and have caused problems...

You will want to use a micrometer and measure the crankshaft. If it is out of round or beaten, it will have ro be turned to the next undersize. The case may also have to be align bored. If so, you will need bearings to fit. My recommendation is to take the crankshaft and case to a machine shop and have them measure. If needed, they can do the work and get you the appropriate bearing sizes. Measuring is a little tricky. Precise tools are required. Chances are, the crankshaft and case are probably ok...but don't assume. If they are good, then buy stock bearings. You will need plastigauge to measure your saddle clearances, as well as rod bearing clearances.

Be very aware that many shops have no idea what they are doing on vw engines...they treat them like big lawnmowers, and we get crap life out them as a result.

Also don't assume that your engine hasn't been opened before. A previous owner may have already turned the crankshaft...
It's reading things like this i wonder to myself "what the hell did i get myself into?!?"
Maybe once i read and start working on it, ill understand....
Also, i'm only doing a top half rebuild, i thought the crank didn't need to be touched...

Squeebles
I'm New!

Post by Squeebles » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:25 am

I had the exact same feeling about 2 years ago. The Tom Wilson book will make things a lot clearer. It's very well laid out, lots of pics of the more challenging steps.
1977 VW Bus, 2.0 FI

Dave91
I'm New!

Post by Dave91 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:27 am

Squeebles wrote:I had the exact same feeling about 2 years ago. The Tom Wilson book will make things a lot clearer. It's very well laid out, lots of pics of the more challenging steps.
Perfect! i am going to pick it up right now!!

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:38 pm

If just a top end, then you do not need the gasket set I recommended...sorry about that, I misread something somewhere...you also do not need a lot of the parts I mentioned...like camshaft, etc.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:22 pm

I think the head price needs to double on your list. That seems to be for 1 head only
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Dave91
I'm New!

Post by Dave91 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:57 pm

cegammel wrote:If just a top end, then you do not need the gasket set I recommended...sorry about that, I misread something somewhere...you also do not need a lot of the parts I mentioned...like camshaft, etc.
what else isn't needed for a half rebuild?
Thanks for all your help!

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:06 am

Let's see...this is what is needed...I think...

Heads
Pistons and cylinders
Seal sets, one for each side
Rod bearings
Check front and rear oil seals
Check end play carefully...I would think that doing just the top end is a stop gap measure, unless you know that the bottom end is good and relatively fresh. Again, my partial rebuild lasted no time...less than 600 miles. If it is still running, get an oil pressure reading and compression readings...

Dave91
I'm New!

Post by Dave91 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:18 am

Its not running and the engine is already out of the van. Three mechanics told me the bottom end is rock solid and doesn't need any work.
The van only has 30,000miles.. It was found in a old barn and the guy who found it rebuilt the top half but didnt do the timing right and whatever else so it over heated.

Dave91
I'm New!

Post by Dave91 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:52 am

The engine is in the back of my truck, on our way to my shop!!
Im excited to start and very happy and comforting to be on this forum!
Thanks for all the help, many more questions to come!!

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:03 am

When you get done with this, please install a good CHT gauge correctly under the #3 cylinder spark plug so that you are aware of the temperatures the engine is putting out. I like the Dakota Digital ones myself.
79 VW Bus

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:48 am

I'm excited for you, and fully plan to live vicariously through your build. Keep us posted.

Dave91
I'm New!

Post by Dave91 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:When you get done with this, please install a good CHT gauge correctly under the #3 cylinder spark plug so that you are aware of the temperatures the engine is putting out. I like the Dakota Digital ones myself.
Yes! Great idea! I already had a gauge but its weird and probably will change it to the one you recommend.