1970 stock bus 1600 cc upright engine

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: 1970 stock bus 1600 cc upright engine

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:09 am

I got's one of those "stove pipes", too. But the insulation is off of it.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:49 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I got's one of those "stove pipes", too. But the insulation is off of it.

neal
I don't think I've ever seen insulation on any of them in person. I've read about it, but I'm not sure if that was stock or not. Regardless, the engines run well without any, so having it with a working preheated intake is a step ahead of many, many Volkswagens.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:50 pm

asiab3 wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:I got's one of those "stove pipes", too. But the insulation is off of it.

neal
I don't think I've ever seen insulation on any of them in person. I've read about it, but I'm not sure if that was stock or not. Regardless, the engines run well without any, so having it with a working preheated intake is a step ahead of many, many Volkswagens.

Robbie
I have an original stove pipe with the insulation on it. I bought it for my bus. What I discovered is depending on what brand stock muffler you had, the heat riser pipe can come out the R/S of the muffler or the L/S. My stock muffler has this heat riser pipe coming out of the R/S. So, there wasn't room for the insulated stove pipe to fit with that pipe in the way of where the stove pipe sits in the breast plate. I happened to have a re-po stove pipe w/out insulation and it fit perfect.

I think when new, the mufflers had the heat riser pipe coming out of the L/S of the muffler.

In this picture, you can see the heat riser pipe on the L/s of this muffler at the bottom so the insulated stove pipe would fit.

Here's a picture of it.. The stove pipe is at the top of the picture.

1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:17 pm

That explains it. Thanks for the pic; I've never actually seen one! My NOS Liestritz muffler (one left on eBay right now I think!) has it as pictured, so plenty of room. I can't recall what the Earnst featured. I can't recall if I spelled that right either.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:49 pm

I have a stock muffler, with the pipe coming to the heat riser on the 1/2 cylinder side. The stovepipe fits in there. I inherited it somewhere, not real sure. Not really sure how I even figured it out, except it fit the hole on the back piece of tin. Sucks hot air off the 1/2 side where the thermostat goes. I don't think I have one on the Ghia engine, and never had one on the dual port that was in the Bus.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Ahhhhhhhh. The power is back. Running well but my ignition switch was a bit cranky for a spell. Annoyed at not being used? It's a 10 amp push pull switch with a separate push button for the starter. It quit being cranky but has me concerned. Ran her into Amboy a couple times, and down to Portland for errands and a Lab visit. Sure nice to have her back on the road. I missed the thumbs up and fingers pointing to her amongst friends on sidewalks as I tooled about. The engine feels downright civilized.

But was it an air-leak at the intake manifold? or was it the compression. I saw nothing obvious that would have indicated an air leak, but there are those who still feel that was the true issue.

Earlier I mentioned it looked like I was leaking oil from under my cylinder shims. I had an epiphany there, too, realizing those paper shims belonged under the shims and against the case, not on top of them against the cylinder base. Doh!!

neal