10mm valve adjusting screw

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

THall
Getting Hooked!

10mm valve adjusting screw

Post by THall » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:22 am

After my visit with Colin yesterday it was determined I need to source some fresh parts; one need being new valve adjustment screws.

I'm looking for advise on where to find "properly hardened" 10mm screws for my 2.0 with hydraulic lifters.

I found these from German Supply, but wondering if $100 for the set of 8 is what I can expect to pay for good quality screws?

https://www.germansupply.com/home/custo ... ctid=16946

Thanks!
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: 10mm valve adjusting screw

Post by SlowLane » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:46 am

I paid $11CDN apiece for genuine factory screws from the stealership when I rebuilt my engine in 2005.

I considered this a good deal, because I had just experienced the bad deal: cheap unhardened screws purchased from a local reputable VW engine builder. The cheap screws were shedding metal shards into my engine in less than 50 km.

Scott at German Supply is one vendor who you don't have to worry will sell substandard parts, but recent feedback gives him less than stellar ratings on delivery times.

Also consider Airhead Parts. Their parts are generally not cheap junk.

Or try a dealership. Have a laugh while they dig out and blow the dust off of the old bus parts fich/manual. Enjoy the furrowed brow of the young parts guy as he tries to decipher the foreign engine layout and wonders where the rad hoses go. :blackeye:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:41 pm

THall wrote:After my visit with Colin yesterday it was determined I need to source some fresh parts; one need being new valve adjustment screws.

I'm looking for advise on where to find "properly hardened" 10mm screws for my 2.0 with hydraulic lifters.

I found these from German Supply, but wondering if $100 for the set of 8 is what I can expect to pay for good quality screws?

https://www.germansupply.com/home/custo ... ctid=16946

Thanks!
Ouch. That is more than the $89.00/set 10mm swivelfoot adjusters that I wish you could have used.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:11 pm

79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:28 am

Are they different than Type 1 adjusters? I have a few extras of those from Aircooled.net from awhile back (I only needed a couple out of the set).
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:29 am

sped372 wrote:Are they different than Type 1 adjusters? I have a few extras of those from Aircooled.net from awhile back (I only needed a couple out of the set).
Pre-emptively pick up Pelican Parts parts procurements, pronto!

Sped, yes they are different than the Type 1 adjusters. Type 1 adjusters are 8mm. '74 and later Type 4 adjusters are 10mm.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:13 am

Whelp, guess I can't help then! Good luck!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:51 am

Amskeptic wrote:
sped372 wrote:Are they different than Type 1 adjusters? I have a few extras of those from Aircooled.net from awhile back (I only needed a couple out of the set).
Pre-emptively pick up Pelican Parts parts procurements, pronto!

Colin
Yep, parts ordered (brake springs too).
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:07 pm

'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:14 pm

SlowLane wrote:Alternatively, for $7.95 each:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/10mm-Valve ... 09-451.htm
I saw those. They talk them up more than any other site I saw and they sound like they're probably pretty good, but must not be genuine VW or they'd say so. Most likely Kolb or Dansk?

Pelican Parts carries all three. The Kolb are $7.75, Dansk $8.25, VW $10.50.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/kse ... 22-109-451

Per the Pelican Parts website, "Dansk offers a complete line of replacement and performance part upgrades including full exhaust systems and replacement bodywork to complement the entire Porsche model range from the earliest 356 to the latest 997. All Dansk products are manufactured to the highest of standards to ensure the quality, factory fitment and performance you expect for your Porsche. This commitment has made Dansk the Original Equipment Supplier to both the Porsche and Volkswagen factories in Germany. These leading automotive manufacturers demand Dansk quality, shouldn't you?"

Sounds like Dansk makes parts for VW, but do they make valve screws for VW and if so are the Dansk labeled screws identical to the ones they make for VW?

The only 10mm valve screws on Bus Depot's site have the same exact photo as the Kolb screws on Pelican Parts site, so maybe Bus Depot's are Kolb? I sent a message to ask them if that is the case. $4.95 each.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:57 pm

Happyfolk wrote:
SlowLane wrote:Alternatively, for $7.95 each:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/10mm-Valve ... 09-451.htm
I saw those. They talk them up more than any other site I saw and they sound like they're probably pretty good, but must not be genuine VW or they'd say so. Most likely Kolb or Dansk?

Pelican Parts carries all three. The Kolb are $7.75, Dansk $8.25, VW $10.50.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/kse ... 22-109-451

Per the Pelican Parts website, "Dansk offers a complete line of replacement and performance part upgrades including full exhaust systems and replacement bodywork to complement the entire Porsche model range from the earliest 356 to the latest 997. All Dansk products are manufactured to the highest of standards to ensure the quality, factory fitment and performance you expect for your Porsche. This commitment has made Dansk the Original Equipment Supplier to both the Porsche and Volkswagen factories in Germany. These leading automotive manufacturers demand Dansk quality, shouldn't you?"

Sounds like Dansk makes parts for VW, but do they make valve screws for VW and if so are the Dansk labeled screws identical to the ones they make for VW?

The only 10mm valve screws on Bus Depot's site have the same exact photo as the Kolb screws on Pelican Parts site, so maybe Bus Depot's are Kolb? I sent a message to ask them if that is the case. $4.95 each.
Damnsk is horsecrap. I see out-of-control adspeak in the above description.

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:52 am

I found this input regarding the Kolb screws from Scott Lyons at GermanSupply.com from a posting on theSamba:

"no-one has answered so i'll add my input. what i see is that there is a significant difference between the finish on the end of the KOLB screws verses genuine. genuine are smooth and very consistent in their shape. the KOLB screws can have concentric machining marks on their ends and the finish can vary quite a bit across a set of 8 screws. from other vendors the KOLB may still be far cheaper, i am not sure, but in my supplier network the KOLB screws have become almost as expensive as the genuine ones so there's not as much reason to save the dough because you're not saving much and the quality isn't quite there. from a vendor point of view there's no more profit for us in the genuine article, in fact our pricing structure means that on genuine parts our profit is normally a lot lower than on aftermarket parts. this has a lot to do with why vendors tend to push the cheaper products - they make more profit on the junk, so that's why they carry so much of it. this phenomenon happens all up and down the supply chain and it makes it harder for customers to find good replacement parts and harder for vendors like us to make a living selling top quality stuff.

i have detailed a method for rejuvenating your old screws in prior posts. maybe i will do a tech article on this. if you're penny-pinching you can easily rework the old screws but you have to work with care and follow the right steps.

anyhow, hope that helps you answer your question a bit at least.
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:35 am

Much ado,
About this screw.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:02 am

Jivermo wrote:Much ado,
About this screw.

For want of a screw, the Volks was lost.

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:34 am

For what it's worth, I did go with the "genuine" set of screws from German Supply after contacting Scott yesterday with an inquiry about the two 10mm sets offered.

I know a lot of folks have had issues with GS, but Scott always responds to my emails quickly and the last order I placed was received within four days. I have no problem spending a bit more if the parts are truly higher quality.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI