hydraulic lifters

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jamez1
I'm New!

hydraulic lifters

Post by jamez1 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:00 am

Hi all i am new to the site i have a 2100cc in my trike i have just had a new cam and lifters pumps put in but i still have a lifter noise on bank 3 and 4 l have set them at 1.5 turn should i set them at 2 turns or do thay have to bedin first any info would be great cheers

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: hydraulic lifters

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:45 pm

jamez1 wrote:Hi all i am new to the site i have a 2100cc in my trike i have just had a new cam and lifters pumps put in but i still have a lifter noise on bank 3 and 4 l have set them at 1.5 turn should i set them at 2 turns or do thay have to bedin first any info would be great cheers
How many miles of driving do you have on these new lifters/cam and pump? Getting all the air out of new lifters especially if the adjustment was a tedious affair, may take up to 20 minutes of sustained driving. If you are well past that and you hear a clicking, it may not be lifters making the noise. Can you determine any change in intensity between hot and cold?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jamez1
I'm New!

Post by jamez1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi colin i have done around 450km and it still has a niose so i am thinking of changing the push rod to see if that is the problem what do you think

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:31 am

jamez1 wrote:Hi colin i have done around 450km and it still has a niose so i am thinking of changing the push rod to see if that is the problem what do you think

Good thing I am not a airplane landing advisor.

"Tell me your altitude."
"Oh, we crashed last week."

Why push rod? Let's narrow it down with a stethoscope (12" 3/8 drive extension or something)

You can verify if the lifters actually have all pumped up by performing a check in the same sequence as a valve adjustment.

Just check for any movement if you pull the adjusting screw and push firmly on the lower part of the pushrod. Movement is evidence of a soft lifter.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles