82 Camper Timing not to spec

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 82 Camper Timing not to spec

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:23 pm

MountainPrana wrote:Finally got the Distributor oriented properly today. I can't believe I was so anxious about it, as it turned out to be such an easy thing to do. I was really hoping that it would solve the issue of the engine needing to be timed at 32* BTDC. Nope... Not sure what to look into next.

Tim :scratch:
I look forward to finding out. Advance unit frozen?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:23 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
I look forward to finding out. Advance unit frozen?
Colin
~I look forward to finding out with you Amskeptic! In fact I fully suspect and expect that you will leave me with quite a list of things that will keep me happily busy for the entire upcoming year! :thumb left:

~I cleaned the friction plate a while back, maybe there's something I overlooked there, I'll have to check it out again.

~I was looking for air leaks the other day and started to suspect the crankcase breather tower O-ring, which I plan on replacing but I also came across this:

I read a post on here about this and can't seem to relocate it... shoulda woulda coulda bookmarked that one...

~Also started wondering about the connection between the throttle body and the intake air plenum... It looked like this:
There was so much sealant on there that it probably wasn't leaking, but what a time consuming hassle to clean it all up. I removed the dent and have the proper gasket ordered.

I had just got everything back together from doing the hydraulic lifters. While waiting on the parts I freshened up the exhaust following information from Greetings From Florida I
It came out acceptably, other than running out of paint before I could hit the bolts and muffler clamp.
Incidentally, does anyone know if Odyssa here is Medium Blue (LH5G) or Guinea Blue (LH5K)?

In other news, the snow is quickly melting above 9,000' in the Tetons

Tim hope to take care of that rust while waiting for parts

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi there! Your first, fourth and fifth photos are not loading for me. I see you're using some kind of Google photo host. Could you perhaps host them on Photobucket or The Samba to make sure we can see them all? I CAN see a few, and they look like fun!

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:20 pm

asiab3 wrote:first, fourth and fifth photos are not loading for me.
Could you do me a huge favor and look through the rest of the post and tell me if any of the other photos aren't loading? I'm trying to find an alternative to PhotoBucket as the free account seems to take forever to load my photos and starts playing all manner of advertising videos which eat up my cellular data. We live out on the prairie and don't have any other kind of internet. I'm wondering if it is the hosting system or just something up with those few photos. I've been doing the google thing for my last few posts and this is the first anyone has mentioned the not loading problem :pale: I haven't looked at the Samba hosting situation as the Google is just so convenient for me but I understand the discouragement of not being able to see others photos! They are fun :flower:

Tim

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:31 pm

I wanted to take a minute and close the loop on this post. Just in case it proves helpful to any of the internet searches out there.

Colin came by for his visit the other day and we did end up figuring out what was going on with the timing, albeit it wasn't all good news.

Here is what we did:
* Valve adjustment
* reconsideration of the pulley's timing notch
*ignition timing
* fuel mixture
* The compression test yielded 65/60/65/30.
*We decided to back off the hydraulic lifter pre-load to "0" which brought compression up a little.
*clean and gap the plugs
*We barely got her to wheeze to life with those anemic compression readings on this 4,000 mile-old engine. With caution, we stepped back the timing from the previous adjustment of 32* BTDC at idle, so we could re-adjust idle speed and mixture as it slowed. We figured that the shop which had been charged to "fix" the lousy-running brand-new Headflow Masters engine set the timing to this insane setting just to get them out the door (then they closed their doors for good). Unfortunately, the engine was seriously damaged on its journey from Utah (the point of installation) to here in Wyoming. That leaves Headflow Masters free and clear and it leaves Mountain Prana and gracious spouse thoroughly out of recourse. The #2 piston skirt has collapsed likely due to new engine friction plus fatal heat from what must have been 60* + advance on the road. It sounded like a diesel engine.
and here are some more details: Greetings West of The Rockies

Odyssa is underpowered for now due to heat damage to at least 1 piston in the #2 cylinder and possibly some other piston and cylinder issues elsewhere.