I need a muffler

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

I need a muffler

Post by Mulcheese » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:17 pm

I am in need of a muffler for the Vanagon and I ran across this.
http://www.busdepot.com/vw7802026

Yes this set up is non-cat and EGR free which I am already running. My current system is a mix-and-match. I have welded over the EGR bung in the extractor (J-pipe),cat is hollowed out, muffler has holes, and the connecteing pipe between the cat and the muffler leaks. The extractor seems solid but the rest is in need of attention. I could buy a stock muffler but then the rest will need replacing in the near future. The price is just so good but yes it is the give and take. Im just not sure how long this will last.

Anyone ever run this?

Not sure but would YOU buy this?
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: I need a muffler

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:38 pm

I have bought that before. It'll last you about 3 years, depending if you drive it in MN salt/snow or not.

With the salt and snow, id give it two years.

I went with the stainless system from Taiwan, and I love it, but it's spendy if you're not sure you'll always own your van.
If you will always own it, I think it just makes the most sense.

If you aren't sure, but don't want total junk in just a few years, look on BusDepot for 071251053E - it should last a lot longer than their EMPI extractor.

http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.135/.f
This is the one I got and love.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:54 am

Mulcheese wrote: Not sure but would YOU buy this?
Errr . . . no.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

AZ Landshaper
I'm New!

Post by AZ Landshaper » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Don't go there. Had one in the 90s. Was not happy w it.
Ran into a similar problem last month. Ended up ordering a new J pipe from summit racing, cut the old flanges from my stock system and rebuilt my stock system using new pipes, old flanges and cat and new muffler and tail pipe. It's sweet and way better than the empi system and passes a normal emissions evaluation.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 am

AZ Landshaper wrote:Don't go there. Had one in the 90s. Was not happy w it.
Ran into a similar problem last month. Ended up ordering a new J pipe from summit racing, cut the old flanges from my stock system and rebuilt my stock system using new pipes, old flanges and cat and new muffler and tail pipe. It's sweet and way better than the empi system and passes a normal emissions evaluation.
I bet it's nice.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:18 pm

I also tried one of those extractors. Couldn't get it to mate cleanly to my heat exchangers, so I went with a stock Vanagon crossover pipe instead (back when you could still get them new).

If you have a sizable tax refund burning a hole in your bank account, consider one of Rocky Mountain Westy's stainless steel air-cooled Vanagon exhaust system. For only $599, it's just a little bit more than the SS muffler Chris referenced. I'll probably spring for one myself when my current exhaust rots through.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:18 pm

airkooledchris wrote: If you aren't sure, but don't want total junk in just a few years, look on BusDepot for 071251053E
I tried to put one of these on my Federal Vanagon last summer after my catalytic converter, muffler plugging incident in Colorado...which resulted in a nice Cherry Bomb muffler on my Vanagon. :cherry: :bom:
Though the Cherry Bomb was functional...it wasn't quite the long-term fix I was looking for. I thought the Ernst muffler from Bus Depot would be nice...as it was supposed to have been "stock" on the European models of Type 4 buses and Vanagons. Well, it didn't quite fit...due to the metal "heat supply" pipes connecting the alternator fan duct and the heater boxes. I mangled the s@#t out of those pipes to try to get it to fit and even tried custom fabricating new pipes from flexible aluminum exhaust repair pipes...to no avail. It was a long and frustrating process that ultimately didn't work. I ended up giving the Ernst muffler to BellePlaine...who was able to get it to fit his bus after removing 1 of the 6 studs...wish I'd thought to try that...but I don't think it would have made it fit the Vanagon. FWIW: BellePlaine reports that it is a "sweet" muffler...and that his bus has never been quieter!
BellePlaine traded me for a more "stock"(Bosal maybe?) muffler and a "Candian-style" straight pipe to take the place of the cat. This is a great set up...but doesn't solve my rusty, hole-ridden cross pipe problem. I haven't been able to find a replacement Federal cross pipe...thought I had a lead on one from a TS classified...but I've yet to hear back.
I'm kind of in the same boat as Mulcheese...I don't really want to put an EMPI on my Vanagon...and I fear the Vintage Speed option (although sweet) might have the same fit issues on a Vanagon as does the Ernst...and it would probably be a huge/expensive hassle to return it to Taiwan. The SS Vanagon exhaust from Rocky Mountain Westy that SlowLane shared looks like a great option...I mean: it is an exhaust system specifically fabricated for an 80-83 air cooled Vanagon!
I think I'll ask them if they would sell only the parts upstream of the cat...

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:32 pm

Can you post a picture or part number of the crossover pipe you need? I have a spare here that I was given, but I'm not sure if it will fit.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:19 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Errr . . . no.
Ya, I know but I thought Id try. It appeared a bit different that the one I saw years ago but I guess not.

I really dont want a whole system as my crossover pipe is still fairly solid. If I could get a muffler to last until the crossover pipe blew out then I think it would be time for what Slowlane or Chris are showing.

So miz you say this wont fit?
http://www.busdepot.com/071251053can

If this doesnt then what does guys???
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:24 pm

asiab3 wrote:Can you post a picture or part number of the crossover pipe you need? I have a spare here that I was given, but I'm not sure if it will fit.
Robbie, were you talking to me? I am away from my Bentley right now...but will send a pic of the federal crossover pipe I need when I am back home.

Thanks,
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Mulcheese wrote:
So miz you say this wont fit?
http://www.busdepot.com/071251053can

If this doesnt then what does guys???
Nope...that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying this won't fit: http://www.busdepot.com/071251053e...nor will this:http://www.busdepot.com/071251053ek, which is the same thing in a kit with a tailpipe, gaskets, etc..

The muffler in your link looks like it should integrate into a Federal Vanagon exhaust system nicely...just make sure you have a usable "donut" clamp (maybe order a new one?) to join your cat to your muffler.

ps-fwiw: this looks like the "Canadian" straight pipe: http://www.busdepot.com/021251541
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:12 pm

asiab3 wrote:Can you post a picture or part number of the crossover pipe you need? I have a spare here that I was given, but I'm not sure if it will fit.
Robbie: what I'm looking for is "E":
...basically this without the cat:

Mulcheese: sorry to hijack your thread...but when one has a possible lead on a federal crossover pipe...well...you understand... :drunken:

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:16 pm

By the way, Mulcheese...if you want a free cherry bomb...for a quick fix...I can help you out! :thumbleft:
1982 Westy- Vana White

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:16 pm

Sorry to get you excited, I guess I have something different. Probably from a late bay, since it was in a pile with some other parts of that vintage.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:59 am

...oh well, thanks for checking, Robbie!
1982 Westy- Vana White