New Type-4 Headflow Masters Engine Leaking

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

VW Treasure
I'm New!

New Type-4 Headflow Masters Engine Leaking

Post by VW Treasure » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:34 am

image.jpeg
My very first thread here, and it couldn't have been a more potentially disastrous one.
My recently rebuilt Type-4 engine from Headflow Masters was installed about two months or so ago with the help of Colin, and it was working flawlessly. It must now have a little less than 50 miles. I've just driven it a few times for trips longer than 15 minutes, most often to and from work about 10 minutes each way. About four days ago I parked the bus in my garage and up to that point it was working fine. Last night I tried to turn it on and the battery was dead, so I left the battery charging overnight. This morning I went to turn it on and the engine seemed like no gas was getting to it, or as if the coil had been disconnected. After searching inside the engine bay, I looked down and noticed a very small puddle of oil seeping from where the back of the engine attaches to the transmission case. :pale:
I took pics so that someone can help me figure out WTF just happened!

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Re: New Type-4 Headflow Masters Engine Leaking

Post by VW Treasure » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:36 am

Pic #2
Attachments
image.jpeg

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:47 am

Man, and this is quite disheartening. I've watched Ray get this bus back together, with the help of his entire family, and now this. There is something seriously wrong with the quality of the Headflow Masters current crop of builds. This is an unexcusable failure. I recommended Headflow Masters to Ray, and I'm very sorry that I did so. Crushing news, this new engine problem.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:28 pm

If the fluid is coming between the trans and engine bell housing, you need to dab it with your finger to see if it's oil or transmission fluid. Transmission fluid has a very unpleasant, strong, stinky smell. If it's not transmission fluid, you need to clean up the area you believe the fluid is coming from with some brake cleaner or other spray solvent. Then, start it up till it reaches temperature and see if you can identify exactly where the fluid is coming from.

VW engines can "appear" to be leaking from one area but after a thorough cleaning and inspection, you can find it coming from somewhere else. Maybe its coming from something simple to fix.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:30 pm

If it's coming from the joint between the engine and the trans, it is most likely the main seal, very common. Oil gallery plugs sometimes fail too, but not often.
The engine has to come out to replace. Most VW owners ignore a quarter-sized puddle, it is not an issue. If it is bigger, it will leak onto the clutch causing issues.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:38 pm

Too early to tell yet, but it could be another candidate for the GoWesty Brazilian OEM main seal which is claimed to put all other main seals to shame.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:52 pm

SlowLane wrote:Too early to tell yet, but it could be another candidate for the GoWesty Brazilian OEM main seal which is claimed to put all other main seals to shame.
I have to say that cured my 914 and Westy oil drips out of the main flywheel seal. In his case check to see if it's gas/oil mix as he has carbs right?
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
SlowLane wrote:Too early to tell yet, but it could be another candidate for the GoWesty Brazilian OEM main seal which is claimed to put all other main seals to shame.
I have to say that cured my 914 and Westy oil drips out of the main flywheel seal. In his case check to see if it's gas/oil mix as he has carbs right?
Glad to hear that you can confirm GoWesty's claims about their seal, Geoff.

Yup, didn't see his other post about the gas/oil mix. In light of that, I'd say the little oil drip is now a very minor concern.

Treasure, I'm sure Colin will respond as soon as he sees your plight, but in the meantime, he has posted before about his observation that aftermarket electric fuel pumps often fail to prevent just this sort of flood. Maybe do a bit of searching around the site and you may find a proposed solution involving an electric cut-off valve somewhere.

Best of luck. Don't lose heart.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:57 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: VW engines can "appear" to be leaking from one area but after a thorough cleaning and inspection, you can find it coming from somewhere else. Maybe its coming from something simple to fix.
I'd agree with this statement...and totally feel your pain, VW Treasure. I could probably share similar pics of oil leaks from my "Turnkey" HFM build.

At last count (i.e.: when my engine last ran, 8 months ago)...I knew I had leaks from 2 push rod tubes and the strainer plate (guess what? ...there was no strainer in there!) I'd check simple stuff like that...don't lose heart...it is annoying (and wrong) that a "new" engine should have these problems...unfortunate, that $6k buys frustration and disappointment, instead of the "Turnkey" solution that was promised, huh?

-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:55 am

the miz wrote: I had leaks from 2 push rod tubes and the strainer plate (guess what? ...there was no strainer in there!)
-miz
Seriously? I missed that.
Colin
(thread being moved to Engine Forum)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:54 am

Amskeptic wrote:
the miz wrote: I had leaks from 2 push rod tubes and the strainer plate (guess what? ...there was no strainer in there!)
-miz
Seriously? I missed that.
Colin
(thread being moved to Engine Forum)
...no, you didn't miss it, just in the massive sequence of events that has occurred, you may have forgotten the detail...
remember: the heinous oil leak in the push rod tube caused oil spatter all over the rear of the van...and the removal of the push rod tube to "fix" the leak is what seems to have precipitated all of my subsequent woes.
In comparison with what has happened in the interim, oil leaks have taken the proverbial "back seat"! :blackeye:
Also, I did buy a strainer...

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White