VW Of Australia oil temperature bulletin from the 50's

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wcfvw69
Old School!

VW Of Australia oil temperature bulletin from the 50's

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:23 am

Ok, lets face it. All of us knucklehead, air cooled classic folks probably worry too much about our engine oil temperatures. EVERYONE has an opinion on what's 'normal' or what's 'acceptable' in regards to oil temperatures as we're happily (ok, we're sweating) motoring down the freeway in hot summer time temperatures. I won't vomit out all the numbers as most of us have read about these numbers ad nauseam already.
A few years ago, IN2VWS on The Samba posted this VW of Australia service bulletin from the 50's when someone was freaking out about 230* oil temperatures on his new engine. The poster on The Samba felt his motor was in immanent danger of a catastrophic melt down. So, I saw IN2VW's on line today and he was kind enough to send the bulletin to me again. It's an interesting read.

1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: VW Of Australia oil temperature bulletin from the 50's

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:03 am

wcfvw69 wrote:Ok, lets face it. All of us knucklehead, air cooled classic folks probably worry too much about our engine oil temperatures. EVERYONE has an opinion It's an interesting read.
That bulletin is well within my opinion . . . :drunken:
Colinm
(thanks for posting it!)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles