82 Air-Cooled Fuel Injected Engine issue

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

thejeremynix
I'm New!

82 Air-Cooled Fuel Injected Engine issue

Post by thejeremynix » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:45 pm

So, wondering what you think this might be:

We are getting an unwanted surge of power in Drive when we first take off from a stop. It bucks and revs really high, it hesitates when you press on the gas then jerks forward. It will sometimes I've a sudden surge out of nowhere. Then after awhile it goes away, we'll drive s hundred miles with no problems, then when we stop it'll start doing it again. At stop lights, it tries to move forward intermittsntl, it'll surge then drop,surge than drop, pulling us forward. We learned to just put it in neutral at lights when this is happening. There than that, we're great. Heading to Grand Rapuds, Minnesota for a music festival.

thejeremynix
I'm New!

Re: 82 Air-Cooled Fuel Injected Engine issue

Post by thejeremynix » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:51 pm

This is an Automatic Transmission. 2.1 L Vanagon.

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Post by jcbrock » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Many far more expert than me will answer, but have you checked your vacuum hoses for a crack? That's where I would start. A crack that is opening and closing may explain why the symptoms seem to go away for some period of time and then return. The driveability problems sound similar to what I've experienced with a vacuum leak.
'76 Type II Station Wagon - in the family since new!
Corvallis, OR

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:21 am

jcbrock wrote:Many far more expert than me will answer,
We will? I'm late.

What year Vanagon? Dijijet or Digifant? Things we need to know. Idle stabilizer hooked up?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:42 pm

thejeremynix wrote:This is an Automatic Transmission. 2.1 L Vanagon.
Sorry, you're giving us slightly confusing information here.

An '82 aircooled vanagon would have a 2.0L engine stock from the factory (1970 cc, rounded up to 2.0L for marketing purposes). The later watercooled engines ('86 and newer) had 2.1L engines from the factory. The FI systems on the two engines (air- vs. water-cooled) are quite different and share virtually no parts in common.

It may very well be that you do have a 2.1L aircooled engine, but that immediately implies that someone has installed a 96mm "big-bore" piston and cylinder set, and may also have installed a "performance" cam or other "upgrades" as well in a quest for more power. If this the case and your engine is using the stock L-Jetronic fuel injection system, then you may be in the unenviable situation of having an engine that L-Jet just can't ever be happy with.

In order to be of any help at all, we'll need to know definitively whether your engine is stock or modified, and if modified, in what fashion? Also, if you are using the stock L-jet system, it would help to know if it is the Federal version or the California version.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm on a phone one or I'd give a more complete answer. For now I'll report that it is a transmission issue, not an engine issue. One shop says cracked torque converter.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:08 pm

How do I know all this, you ask. Because the OP and I are well acquainted on the facebooks.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com