1978 vw bus FI 2.0

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

1978 vw bus FI 2.0

Post by khargis » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Hello everyone. The last two days I spent working on my bus, it felt good, learned a few new things, did a lot of reading, and completed a full tune-up. Found a couple small vacuum leaks - fixed, found a couple loose connections - fixed, points replaced - dwell at 50, valves - check!, timing - check, fuel mixture - check, purring! Fast forward to this morning; headed up to the Sawtooths from Boise for a couple days, started out with a couple big climbs, running steady and all of a sudden I heard some unknown noise come from the engine or in the rear, this sound was like a spinning or whizzing or evil, bus cut out and would not re-start. Hazards on, I pulled off distributor cap to make sure the points were opening and closing, all vacuum hoses on tight, belt good, plug wires on. It was already 100 degrees and it was 11:30am. Sheriff drove by and pulled over, thankfully, because there is no cell service. 2 dogs and daughter in the bus and we got towed back home. I am perplexed and bummed. Any thoughts? Thanks y'all.
Kris :shaking:
'slow n' steady'

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Re: 1978 vw bus FI 2.0

Post by khargis » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:11 pm

I dropped my number one exhaust valve. I guess I am going to learn how to pull the engine. On the bright side, I will learn more, on the super duper bright side, it is suppose to be 108' the next five days. Good times.
'slow n' steady'

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:43 pm

khargis wrote:I dropped my number one exhaust valve. I guess I am going to learn how to pull the engine. On the bright side, I will learn more, on the super duper bright side, it is suppose to be 108' the next five days. Good times.
Sorry to hear this. The valve broke or the seat came loose? How many miles on the head, if you know?

Yup, it's clearly engine yanking time.

BTW, I'm in PHX so NO sympathy from me on the heat pal! :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:16 pm

khargis wrote:I dropped my number one exhaust valve. I guess I am going to learn how to pull the engine. On the bright side, I will learn more, on the super duper bright side, it is suppose to be 108' the next five days. Good times.
Good times, welcome!
There is a payoff when you perform surgery on your own engine that has served you loyally.
It is a bonding with your car that few modern car drivers get to experience.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:40 am

IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg (50.24 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
The process has begun! I have removed everything up to the point when I remove the starter. I know this has been the easy part, but it still feels good and I can't wait to clean everything, it is like a dirty bathroom in there! What is the best way to clean the engine tins and anything that is caked with grease? I want to prep them for a nice rattle can paint job. In answer to a previous question, I guess I do not know yet if I dropped exhaust valve no. 1 or if it came unseated, hopefully just the latter, but time will tell! Any who, back to work. I thought I would include a current picture of the status on my engine and a glory shot of 'Bad Danger'!
'slow n' steady'

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:41 am

IMG_1082.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
1978 2.o FI "Bad Danger" engine progress.
'slow n' steady'

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:36 pm

I soaked my tins, and other steel parts, in a plastic garbage can with water and 1 can of Red Devil lye. This method can be dangerous, and you must protect your skin and EYES! Elbow length rubber gloves and eye protection. Do not even use it if you have children who could possibly get into the stuff. However, if you can control the access to the can, and you are careful, it will do a heck of a job stripping down to bare metal. I soaked my stuff for about a week, and it ate everyting off the metal. Do not put any ALUMINUM items in this, like the fan housing. It will eat it up. Only steel.

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:33 pm

Sounds like that will do the trick, no kids here. Thanks for the tip Jivermo!
'slow n' steady'

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:07 am

Hello folks. So the progress is coming along on the engine removal. I am a few bolts shy of removing the engine from the transmission and lowering the engine. I have to procure a couple jack stands and a floor jack before I go any further. After cleaning up this morning I pulled my no.1 spark plug just to take a look see (should of been done right away), but this is what I found; a smashed plug! Does this mean that not only is my no. 1 exhaust valve is shot, but possibly my piston and cylinder? :pale:

Kris
Attachments
IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1092.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
'slow n' steady'

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:08 am

another shot of the spark plug no. 1
Attachments
IMG_1093.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
'slow n' steady'

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Only the autopsy of the engine will tell you what struck that plug. Pls post some updates and pictures after you get it apart.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:03 pm

Will do!
'slow n' steady'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:38 pm

khargis wrote:Will do!
We're rooting for you. Organize all the parts you take off and keep your nuts and bolts and screws organized.

You have some damage there . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:16 am

Let me second that about the parts organization. When I did my second tear down on my '78, Colin suggested I get a bunch of ziplock bags, and label every fastener and part that I removed. I did this, and it has made my reassembly so much easier. I still have run into some questions about what goes where, but this forum is invaluable for helping solve things like that. Best of luck, and have fun.

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:20 am

Thanks to all! All parts labeled, in proper zip locks, and photo documentation. I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask, once that beast is out of the bus...
'slow n' steady'