Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

the miz
Addicted!

Re: Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Post by the miz » Mon May 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Bleyseng wrote:The caulky stuff should be the sealant Raby uses which works pretty good. The twisting method is when you install the pushrod tubes when inserting them into the case and seating them home into the head. Rotate the tubes 90' so not to pinch the O rings and seat them in as they kind of suck into place.
...yeah, it doesn't seem to work as well when Adrian uses it...or maybe it is just not a sub for proper Viton push rod tube seals. Also, the new (Brazilian?) push rod tubes are pretty flimsy, I plan to replace them with the originals scavenged from my old engine at some point. I now understand what you mean on the rotating...I misunderstood and was hoping to rotate to a spot where the O-ring would seat/seal and the leak would slow/stop.
As mentioned, the big problem, currently, is the mega leaky valve cover.

Thanks again,
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Mon May 23, 2016 7:20 pm

the miz wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:The caulky stuff should be the sealant Raby uses which works pretty good.
...yeah, it doesn't seem to work as well when Adrian uses it...or maybe it is just not a sub for proper Viton push rod tube seals. Also, the new (Brazilian?) push rod tubes are pretty flimsy,

Thanks again,
miz
Weird, I wonder why?
ImageImage

Timcan'tbelievesomeofthethingsIfindinmyHFMrebuild

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon May 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Like I said, rotate as you install the tubes to avoid the pinched O ring like in the picture.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue May 24, 2016 4:17 am

Yeah, that's what happens with those green seals that come on the build, I don't seem to have that problem with the tan/puce ones.
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Tue May 24, 2016 5:03 am

the miz wrote:Yeah, that's what happens with those green seals that come on the build, I don't seem to have that problem with the tan/puce ones.
miz
Good to know, I got a set of viton replacements from Bus Depot for the partial rebuild of the HFM rebuilt.

Tim

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 24, 2016 6:14 am

MountainPrana wrote: Timcan'tbelievesomeofthethingsIfindinmyHFMrebuild
Wait. That green hernia is from your engine? It is a HFM engine?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Tue May 24, 2016 6:43 am

Amskeptic wrote:
MountainPrana wrote: Timcan'tbelievesomeofthethingsIfindinmyHFMrebuild
Wait. That green hernia is from your engine? It is a HFM engine?
Colin
Yup... I am meaning to put together a list of all the Hugely Flawed Migraines that I've found so far and add it to the Hold Off On Headflow Masters Engines thread... but I keep finding more things to fix.

Tim

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue May 24, 2016 6:53 am

MountainPrana wrote: Good to know, I got a set of viton replacements from Bus Depot for the partial rebuild of the HFM rebuilt.

Tim
Yeah, those BD seals coupled with my old/stock push rod tubes are the trick. I also don't think you need that silver schmuck...or any sealant really...it's only the ones with green seals and silver schmuck all over that leak! :bom:
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue May 24, 2016 6:55 am

MountainPrana wrote: Yup... I am meaning to put together a list of all the Hugely Flawed Migraines that I've found so far and add it to the Hold Off On Headflow Masters Engines thread... but I keep finding more things to fix.

Tim
...ooh, good one, Tim...I was thinking Huge F$#king Mess...but migraines have happened as a result...Heartbreaking Failure Machine?
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu May 26, 2016 9:21 am

Ok, so I think I have narrowed the oils leaks down to 1 super slow drip on the 1-2 valve cover...it must be that the cover is bent, since I've replaced the gasket. At any rate the leakage has slowed to the point where it is ok to drive...so I did! I took Vana out for a 30 min spin last night and then decided to drive her to work today! She seems to be running pretty strong and heck, its the first time she's moved under her own power in 10 months or so. :sunny:

One thing I did notice: at low RPMs, like at idle after a cold start, the battery light gives a faint glow...it wanes with higher RPMs and is absent when then engine is under load (i.e.: driving). This seems odd to me...could something suddenly be up with the alternator?

Right now the problem doesn't seem bad enough to keep me from driving.

...stay tuned for the 100mi. oil change.

-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Huge congratulations on finally getting to drive your bus again. I'll hope your trips to and from work are eventless. Man, you've been through the ringer with this!
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu May 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Alt/dash light: it is probably a diode going bad...keep driving until convenient time to dismantle or take to equiv. of jivermos' rasta-rebuild guy
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 pm

the miz wrote:I took Vana out for a 30 min spin last night and then decided to drive her to work today! She seems to be running pretty strong and heck, its the first time she's moved under her own power in 10 months or so. :sunny:
This is such good news! Glad to hear things are going in the right direction.
the miz wrote:One thing I did notice: at low RPMs, like at idle after a cold start, the battery light gives a faint glow...it wanes with higher RPMs and is absent when then engine is under load (i.e.: driving).
If you push down on the belt midway between the alternator and the pulley with firm pressure how much does it flex (deflection)? Mine came back on the loose side.

Tim

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri May 27, 2016 9:13 am

MountainPrana wrote: This is such good news! Glad to hear things are going in the right direction.
If you push down on the belt midway between the alternator and the pulley with firm pressure how much does it flex (deflection)? Mine came back on the loose side.Tim
Thanks, Tim...that's a good suggestion...which had occurred to me...I just haven't checked tension yet. I'll do that.

dingo wrote: Alt/dash light: it is probably a diode going bad...keep driving until convenient time to dismantle or take to equiv. of jivermos' rasta-rebuild guy
...good point, but it is basically a "new" alternator...<2000mi. on it. Luckily I have a spare from my old engine...and have seen a spot like Jivermo's Rasta-man in North Minneapolis...

Thanks for the input!

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri May 27, 2016 9:14 am

phaedrus76 wrote:Huge congratulations on finally getting to drive your bus again. I'll hope your trips to and from work are eventless. Man, you've been through the ringer with this!
Thanks! ...looks like I'll actually get to bring my bus to the IAC party during Colin's visit this year!

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White