Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

the miz
Addicted!

Re: Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Post by the miz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:42 am

Jivermo wrote: I got my hands full with plenty else to do on this thing, and I ain't getting any younger. I want to drive this thing, not spend eternity working on it. Can't say it's all gone as planned, but then, what ever does?
Amen, brother! =D>
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I have been reminded to remind you to inventory all parts that you ship. Remind Adrian that you have inventoried all parts and expect them to return with your engine. Mark each one permanently. I used this pattern for example on my fuel pump parts:
using a center punch:
.. ...
Thanks for the reminder (or reminder to remind...).
Although I kind of wish I'd read it before I sealed the crate...

All that I have included that isn't attached, physically, to the engine is:
my old fuel pump (distinctive in it's junkiness)
the new "non-street-legal" EMPI fuel pump Adrian sent me
the tail pipe

The biggest loss would be the tail pipe, although I've got to believe Adrian has some worthwhile replacements lying around.

...maybe I am overly optimistic here, but I am hoping that he will pay some pretty close attention this time.
Also, I'm hoping that he can keep track of some of the things in his shop and that it doesn't look like this:

...maybe I'll find out, I'm still contemplating visiting him while my engine is in his shop.

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:21 am

...so instead of posting my latest update in this thread, I decided to post it here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12500&p=219681#p219681

...once the engine is back, I'll go back to updating this thread...I just thought this particular post was germane to the "Hold Off" thread.

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:38 am

the miz wrote:...so instead of posting my latest update in this thread, I decided to post it here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12500&p=219681#p219681

...once the engine is back, I'll go back to updating this thread...I just thought this particular post was germane to the "Hold Off" thread.

miz
We'll be here . . . and there.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed May 11, 2016 12:43 pm

...it's baaaa-aaaack!

...apparently with all of the parts I sent it with...along with some new wires from the coil to the choke (not sure I needed that) and from the choke to the case (brown=ground?)...never had one before... not sure I need it? :

...and best(?) of all...a brand new Frankenguard! (yay? :scratch: ):

I just hope it runs properly now...
...stay tuned.

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed May 11, 2016 9:21 pm

that fan guard...what the hell ??? that aint right ...that just aint right. Maybe im mistaken, but thats some half-ass operation putting these things together
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 12, 2016 6:14 am

the miz wrote: ...it's baaaa-aaaack!

...and best(?) of all...a brand new Frankenguard!

I just hope it runs properly now...
...stay tuned.

miz
Did your old engine have a "real" guard? I mean, the Frankenguard is lovely and all :pale: but . . . . why NOT just have the correct fan guard?
Colin
(what is the spare spark plug about? a leering failure point, or is it waiting for your brake booster hose? )

Plastic Fan Guard
Mesh Guard for Air Intake Cooling Fan on Bus and Vanagon.
Part Reference Number: J10983
Availability: Usually ships in 1-3 working days (sooner if Expedited/Express shipping is chosen)
$24.95 Sale
Qty:
Add to Cart
Add to Wishlist

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu May 12, 2016 8:46 am

...yes, Colin, I have a "stock" fan guard in my parts collection. Frankenguard, or I should call it "Son of Frankenguard" looks interesting, but given how Adrian's last Frankenguard shredded, when it came in contact with the fan gong over the Trail Ridge Road last year...I think I might stick with stock...or nothing...
Note: Frankenguard I:
vs
Frankenguard II:

They are defnitiely things to behold... :drunken:
1982 Westy- Vana White

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu May 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Hey, cool. You got upgraded from a California exhaust to a Federal one.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri May 13, 2016 8:52 am

SlowLane wrote:Hey, cool. You got upgraded from a California exhaust to a Federal one.
...yes, but I did the upgrade myself, with the exhaust from my old engine...because the Cali exhaust had been welded into one piece and wouldn't mate with my driver-side fresh-air/heat duct to the front of the bus. I'm happy to have a Federal exhaust, which is what I requested, but at the time was less than whelmed that I had to do it myself...on a "turnkey" project.

It looks like BellePlaine and I may have the opportunity to put this engine back in this weekend...so send positive vibes our way and stay tuned...

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Fri May 13, 2016 9:05 am

Good to hear that you got the motor back! Definitely follwing this thread to see how it turns out. I'm still working on a draft reply with some questions I have about the first motor that I'm hoping you may be able to shed some light on.
I'm going to move Odyssa our 82 Westy over to a garage this evening. Stoked to have some lighting and a place out of the wind!

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri May 13, 2016 10:35 am

MountainPrana wrote:Good to hear that you got the motor back! Definitely follwing this thread to see how it turns out. I'm still working on a draft reply with some questions I have about the first motor that I'm hoping you may be able to shed some light on.
I'm going to move Odyssa our 82 Westy over to a garage this evening. Stoked to have some lighting and a place out of the wind!
Yeah, working in a garage out of the elements is definitely nice. I'll do my best to answer any questions you have. I did notice you are not on Colin's itinerary...if you have the means...and he can squeeze you in...I think you might benefit from it.

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 13, 2016 2:24 pm

MountainPrana wrote:Good to hear that you got the motor back! Definitely follwing this thread to see how it turns out. I'm still working on a draft reply with some questions I have about the first motor that I'm hoping you may be able to shed some light on.
I like your avatar . . ..
Colin

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Sat May 14, 2016 9:03 am

the miz wrote: Yeah, working in a garage out of the elements is definitely nice. I'll do my best to answer any questions you have. I did notice you are not on Colin's itinerary...if you have the means...and he can squeeze you in...I think you might benefit from it.

miz
Thanks so much miz! My wife Molly wants to get me some time with Colin for a birthday present. She sent him an email but hasn't heard back, we weren't sure if it went through or not. The Itinerary seems pretty tight for the Wyoming and Montana area...

Amskeptic wrote: I like your avatar . . ..
Colin
My wife and I's friend Missy took this photo in the Southern Utah desert during a canyoneering trip. We had met out there to poke around some canyons off of Hole In The Rock Road. After an uneventful canyoneering weekend we started to head back up the 35 or so miles of heavily washboarded dirt road when Odyssa started to buck and protest like a wild horse that didn't want to go back to the barn. I found a huge crack in the hose from the crank case breather to the AFM elbow and repaired it but still no go. We ended up having to tow her behind Missy's Astro van El Unicornio Blanco back into the town of Escalante where the local mechanic cleaned up the oxygen sensor in the AFM and we were on our way. Although very grateful, I was also disappointed in myself for not being able to troubleshoot and fix the problem on my own. What if Missy hadn't of been there to tow us back? I had gone through the FI troubleshooting section of the Bentley Manual but hadn't even thought the logic through of "a ton of dust sucked into the system = dirty sensing components" Indeed I didn't even know the AFM system well enough to understand what was going on. Rebuilding the wiring harness over the winter helped me with understanding that process which recently had great depth and breadth added to it by reading the AFM adjustment topic on here. All this is to say that no matter how much we see out of our own windows, there is always opportunity to reframe our experience and learn more if we are open to it.

Colin, let us know if you did get Molly's email, We would love to have you out, it's a beautiful place and I would humbly place myself into your mentorship for the day. I completely understand if you are too booked or can't make it work for any reason. The itinerary looks a bit tight for this area. If not this year than absolutely on the next lap!

Tim

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Sun May 15, 2016 7:03 am

MountainPrana wrote:
Thanks so much miz!

My wife and I's friend Missy took this photo in the Southern Utah desert during a canyoneering trip. We had met out there to poke around some canyons off of Hole In The Rock Road. After an uneventful canyoneering weekend we started to head back up the 35 or so miles of heavily washboarded dirt road when Odyssa started to buck and protest like a wild horse that didn't want to go back to the barn. I found a huge crack in the hose from the crank case breather to the AFM elbow and repaired it but still no go. We ended up having to tow her behind Missy's Astro van El Unicornio Blanco back into the town of Escalante where the local mechanic cleaned up the oxygen sensor in the AFM and we were on our way. Although very grateful, I was also disappointed in myself for not being able to troubleshoot and fix the problem on my own. What if Missy hadn't of been there to tow us back? I had gone through the FI troubleshooting section of the Bentley Manual but hadn't even thought the logic through of "a ton of dust sucked into the system = dirty sensing components" Indeed I didn't even know the AFM system well enough to understand what was going on. Rebuilding the wiring harness over the winter helped me with understanding that process which recently had great depth and breadth added to it by reading the AFM adjustment topic on here. All this is to say that no matter how much we see out of our own windows, there is always opportunity to reframe our experience and learn more if we are open to it.

Tim
Wow, that's quite the story! I think I know approximately where you were...pretty remote and the conditions can be a bit harsh depending on the time of year. Isn't it nice to find a decent and helpful mechanic when you really need one? I always think I'd rather do indepth trouble shooting in the wilderness instead of on a busy interstate shoulder...if food, water and time were no issue. Unfortunately, breaking down in the middle of nowhere with no idea what is wrong is not as attractive to the rest of my family who watch too many movies and subscribe to urban legends, etc.... :pale:. Maybe that's not too far off, there are a few towns in that part of the world that give off a bit of a "village of the damned" type vibe.
Certainly, having time to diagnose in the safety and comfort of one's garage...where there are no knife wielding maniacs and where Colin is only a PM away...is the best case. :sunny:
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White