Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

Re: Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Post by dingo » Fri May 27, 2016 7:20 pm

to test for bad diode, simply set your Voltmeter or multimeter to AC (lowest range available). Thats AC milliVolts
rattach pos lead to batt+ and neg lead to Batt neg/ground. Above 50mV or so is too much
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:11 pm

the miz wrote:
phaedrus76 wrote:Huge congratulations on finally getting to drive your bus again. I'll hope your trips to and from work are eventless. Man, you've been through the ringer with this!
Thanks! ...looks like I'll actually get to bring my bus to the IAC party during Colin's visit this year!

miz
That is good news. I'm shooting to be there with mine too, but it's starting to look real iffy.

FYI, there's a great alternator and starter rebuilder here in Bloomington. Have had both done over the last year with very good results. Definitely good with the Bosch stuff.
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Sat May 28, 2016 5:21 am

dingo wrote:to test for bad diode, simply set your Voltmeter or multimeter to AC (lowest range available). Thats AC milliVolts
rattach pos lead to batt+ and neg lead to Batt neg/ground. Above 50mV or so is too much
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.
-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Sat May 28, 2016 5:27 am

phaedrus76 wrote: That is good news. I'm shooting to be there with mine too, but it's starting to look real iffy.

FYI, there's a great alternator and starter rebuilder here in Bloomington. Have had both done over the last year with very good results. Definitely good with the Bosch stuff.
I really hope your bus is ready, I've been dying to see your restoration work in person, it's been at least a 3 year project, right?

Thanks for the recommendation on the Bloomington rebuilder, I'll hit you up for the details if necessary. Bloomington is much more convenient...and a solid rec. is better than going in blind!

-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:08 pm

So did your trip to/from work the other day go well? Going for another drive when the weather dries out this weekend?

Yes, my project has been going on for over 3 years now. Looking like a long shot to get it done enough to drive by Colin's visit, as things became very busy on a deadline with work. Trying to get a little more done on the Sink/Stove cabinet this weekend, but very little free time still.
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 29, 2016 5:33 am

the miz wrote:
phaedrus76 wrote:Huge congratulations on finally getting to drive your bus again. I'll hope your trips to and from work are eventless. Man, you've been through the ringer with this!
Thanks! ...looks like I'll actually get to bring my bus to the IAC party during Colin's visit this year!

miz
It is a relief to hear that the engine is driving you down the road. Good starting now? I look forward to driving it.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 29, 2016 8:46 am

Currently, my HFM rebuild is running very well, and I will most likely be doing the 200 mile oil change and forensic valve adjustment/Colinstylecheck this weekend. Absolutely no oil leaks or drips. Frankly, I'm amazed.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue May 31, 2016 8:06 am

phaedrus76 wrote:So did your trip to/from work the other day go well? Going for another drive when the weather dries out this weekend?

Yes, my project has been going on for over 3 years now. Looking like a long shot to get it done enough to drive by Colin's visit, as things became very busy on a deadline with work. Trying to get a little more done on the Sink/Stove cabinet this weekend, but very little free time still.
Yeah, the trip to and from work went well...and I drove out to Pierce County, WI (River Falls) over the weekend.

It would be cool, if you could at least drive your bus when Colin is here...I hear you about having enough time to work on the details...

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue May 31, 2016 8:21 am

Amskeptic wrote: It is a relief to hear that the engine is driving you down the road. Good starting now? I look forward to driving it.
Colin
I know, right? We are at the stage of "functional" right now...but I'm looking forward to your assistance to dial it in...we've got a camping trip scheduled for early July...so I'm glad you'll visit before then!

Still trying to eradicate a small oil leak on one of the valve covers....it is annoying, as it drips right on to the #1 exhaust header and blows oil smoke into the cab...family does not like this.

Starting is still a bit rough...really need to keep it revved for a few minutes until it is a bit warmed up to keep it from bogging down and dying.

Idle can be variable, I'm assuming this is a fine tuning/distributor issue?

...you'll get to experience it soon, I'm looking forward to that.

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:48 am

the miz wrote: Still trying to eradicate a small oil leak on one of the valve covers....it is annoying to family.

Starting is still a bit rough...
Are these the shiny shiny shiny AMC valve cover surfaces? OEM VW heads had finely machined milling grooves to help the cork gaskets seal (ah . . . duh), while the shiny shiny shiny surfaces do not. Are your valve cover bales a fight to get into position? They should be. You might want to get those new VW valve covers/bales available from Bus Depot the last I remember. Or, you could try the silicone 914 gaskets with whatever they recommend for installation. This is a priority.
Colin :pirate:

(rough starting, we can look at it . . . welcome to the world of big honkin carburetion)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:42 am

Amskeptic wrote: Are these the shiny shiny shiny AMC valve cover surfaces? OEM VW heads had finely machined milling grooves to help the cork gaskets seal (ah . . . duh), while the shiny shiny shiny surfaces do not. Are your valve cover bales a fight to get into position? They should be. You might want to get those new VW valve covers/bales available from Bus Depot the last I remember. Or, you could try the silicone 914 gaskets with whatever they recommend for installation. This is a priority.
Colin :pirate:
Yes "shiny shiny shiny AMC is what we're dealing with. The cover bales are a struggle...the confusion is that with new cork, leaks on one side were eliminated and were markedly/mostly reduced on the other side...I may yet try swapping sides, or another cork gasket to see if we solve the issue. Also, I recall having this same issue last year, before the Colorado trip...ultimately I mitigated the leak by putting the valve cover from my old engine on...which makes me wonder if one of these "new" valve covers is bent (somehow) enough to prevent a total seal.
I'll look into the 914 gaskets too...

Thanks!
-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:26 am

Rumor on the internet, is that having your valve covers on with the VW logo upside down is better at preventing leaks. Have you tried it?
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:35 am

asiab3 wrote:Rumor on the internet, is that having your valve covers on with the VW logo upside down is better at preventing leaks. Have you tried it?
Robbie
...yeah, that's the way they were/are installed. I really think, remembering back to last July, that one of the covers is bad. I've got a spare cover from Belle Plaine that I'll use to test that teory...if that's the case, I'll be buying a new valve cover.

Thanks for the suggestion, Robbie...

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:39 am

dingo wrote:Alt/dash light: it is probably a diode going bad...keep driving until convenient time to dismantle or take to equiv. of jivermos' rasta-rebuild guy
I think this issue has been resolved? I think that the alternator plug was not seated all of the way, as the signal wire was caught between the plug and the alternator...I fixed this and then didn't notice the symptom when I drove to Wisconsin on Sunday...maybe it was just that simple?

-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Ive always installed my valve covers right side up. There's no way VW build them to be shown upside down.
1979 California Transporter